Dog know-it-alls, I need help - I think my vet might be a quack!

My puppy was born Oct 8 - so a little over 2 months old. She's been dragging her butt - after research and whatnot I know it's not worms, but think she needs her anal glands squeezed. Vet says she's too young to need that done but also agrees it's not worms. So, is there any other reason she'd be dragging her butt, and is she really too young to need her anal glands squeezed? We did look that up and tried to do it ourselves but didn't get anything out.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 10:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Pets

• idk if the pups too young, try calling another vet for advice maybe, i have known dog grooming places to squeeze anal glands but for older dogs, id ring another vet tho for advice first
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• She may have skin allergies. I would take her to a different Vet. A second opinion is usually best if the first one isn't helping. As for impacted anal glands, I would doubt that too since she's so young...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Try switching the soap that you're bathing with. It could be an allergy to the soap. Also clean all bedding, etc with something different. Not sure if you use it but Carpet Fresh can also cause a reaction in some dogs.

In the meantime check with some of your friends and see who they use for a vet.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Pretty sure your vet's $300,000 dollar education disagrees.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I never thought about skin allergies. I will try a different soap, as well as stop using the doggy wipes I wipe her paws (and sometimes rear) with.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Those two things come to mind but unless there is some condition, I would say that see is too young for the anal glands to fill up in any way. My best guess is that when she poops it irritaes her or some small residue is left behind. You could take a baby wipe and wipe her bottom before she comes in (not immediately after of she will associate the two and may try not to go because most dogs are not fond of people messing back there lol) I can think of no other reason. I would say your vet is correct.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• She doesn't do it every time she poops, and probably half the time she does it before she goes. We did start a food supplement today that's supposed to help her intestines stay healthy so maybe that'll help (our older dog is on it also, we just had to get the puppy formula and it just came this afternoon, after I posted this - DH thinks she's a little hard even though she's not struggling to go).
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2012