My husband won't feed the kids?

I work at night I leave at 5 pm and am not back till 2 am. I feed my family dinner at aroung 3:30....and ask him to feed them a small sandwich or cereal at like 6 or 7pm....Instead he has been giving them a glass of milk and to bed! To me this is just laziness! I asked him about it last night when my oldest told me he was going to bed with out eating anything....and he said He isn't hungry at that time so how can the kids be! When they had dinner at almost 4!!!!!!! What can I do? I was thinking of making the kids sandwiches and having them grab them from the fridge but I feel like if that is enabling my husband to be lazy....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My ex husband used to do that and I told him he was going to have to start helping or Id hire a sitter and knock his butt out the door.

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• wow yea thats not right but they have to eat so yea i would make the sandwiches so they can just go get them i would not however make enough so there would also be one for hubby. i bet he is getting up and getting food after they are already in bed though. god men are such asses
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I am thinking of doing the same thing!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No offense but he sounds like an ass. Definitely make the sandwiches for the kids to grab from the frridge. It shouldn't have to be that way but the kids do need to eat. Sorry you're dealing with this.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 9:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Jut because he's not hungry doesn't mean the kids aren't, he needs to stop being lazy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My husband rarely feeds the kids if I'm not alone. So I taught them to do it themselves. They have been making their own sandwiches since they were 4. Now they are 8,7 and 6 and can get their own sandwiches, cereal and toast (and warm leftovers in the microwave) so they can fend for themselves. They even get food for their 2yo sister. I no longer have to get breakfast or lunch for them (for the most part). It's actually kind of nice and they love the responsibility of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't let my husband get away with that. I'm sorry, but they are just as much his children as they are yours, and if he can't be a good parent, then he needs to go.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• How old are your kids? Are they old enough to make their own PBJ or to serve themselves cereal? I think there is a bigger problem going on here when DH won't take any responsibility for his kids, but you can probably deal with the immediate needs by having the kids get their own sandwiches or cereal if they are at least 4 or 5. Leave the fixings where they can reach them and show them how.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• the kids come first it seems that you hb does not care about his kids.(sorry:) Teach the kids how to make sandwiches.
    Tell him this to see what he will do: I'm going to have to quite my job so I can stay home to take care of the kids? and he can get a second job. That is the way it should be anyway.
    Or better you can babysit so you stay at home with the kids.Sorry But I would not leave my kids with anyone that does not feed them, even their dad.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you should apply his thinking to your sex life... IF you arent horney... he must not be... because we all feel the same at the same times... and yes until he sees the light (that you will be a mean bitch ~btw be really mean to him for it including no sex... until he feeds them like you asked) also could you send a friend, your mom, or someone else he would rather not see over everynite to feed them.... that would make him feel dumb huh! try that,,, and be mean to him because not feeding your kids is being an asshole for sure!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2009