Anyone have any tips on getting my DD to drink something other than water or milk?

I have tried diluting juice, mixing, different cups... you name it. What worked for you? Good flavors? Brands?

Kynsicat

Asked by Kynsicat at 8:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gotcha! I'm sorry she's sick. If she has diarrhea, I think milk may make it worse. Try popsicles or jello. If she's not drinking enough with diarrhea, I'd pull out all the stops. Capri suns, watered down Hawaiian punch or Hi-C. I usually avoid those like the plague, but it's better than a trip to the ER for dehydration!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I fail to see the issue with only drinking milk or water. Juices have sugar(sometimes way too much). Is there a reson you think she needs to be drinking something else?
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• If she's happy with water & milk, let her have them! Juice is better than soda, but it still has a lot of sugar.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Sorry....She is sick (diarrhea) and I have been trying to get her to drink Pedilyte. She won't touch it. She hasn't been interested in water or milk (yesterday) so I gave her ice chips, which she took. I just want to have more options. Last year she spent 4 days in the hospital on an IV for dehydration because she wouldn't drink. I haven't ever pushed juice at all because I don't like the sugar factor, but like I said, just want to have some options. I am happy with her drinking water & milk, but on the rare occasions that she won't drink either of those, I want a possible backup. Any tips, I would appreciate.
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 9:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Does't Pedialyte make popsicles? I think they're in the Pedialyte section, but you freeze them when you get home.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 9:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• If she'll take ice chips, try freezing the pedialyte in an ice cube tray.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Why do you want your child to drink something other than milk and water? Those are the two best options out there! My son is 25 months, and he has never had juice. My opinion (and his pediatrician's) is that juice is not necessary and often just adds sugar.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• their is nothing wrong with water and milk. like everyone has said the juices have to much sugar and of course never give soda.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• IF THEY ARE SICK than give them pedolite (cant spell it)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• LOL - I was thinking water & milk sounded good to me; but if you really want something else...

I buy the V8 Fusion juices (veggies&fruit in one) and I water it down in thirds...so 1 part juice to 2 parts water...my girls love the flavors (we avoid the citrus ones) and I like that they're getting extra nutrients...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009