Do you believe it takes a village to raise your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. I think it takes parents and their family like grandparents etc to. I dont like all the villagers.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• yea, but what about teachers and people that are around your kids when you're not, aren't they responsible for them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Teachers are supposed to teach not raise my kids. I dont use the school system as a daycare. They should do their jobs and let me do mine. If my child misbehaves they can call me. But no it isnt their job to raise my child or impose morals and trains of thought I may disapprove of. They can learn reading, math etc from them, anything beyond that is really my job isnt it?

Answer by gemgem at 8:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No, it takes a parent to raise a child. Hillary's little slogan just encourages people who expect the schools to raise their children for them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't think it takes a village to raise your kids, but I think everyone in the "village" should be aware of and tuned into what all the kids are doing and either alone or with other parents/adults put a stop to any sort of trouble before it gets started. Kids rarely do any major damage alone, they get together in couples or groups. THis means you are a member of the village too, and need to keep an eye on all the kids, not just your own.But that said, it is primarily the family's responsibility to raise their children to be decent, responsible, productive citizens that are assets to the "village" in the next generation.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I think it does...we try doing it all on our own to "prove" that we are good moms and dads, but we a ran ragged at times. I think it shows a lot of strength to ask for help. Cafe mom is a good example of how we need to help each other. If we never ask for help our kids learn that doing it alone is the way to do things and when they need help they think it is wrong to ask, as a sign of weakness. I am all for being independent. But there is something to be said for community. If you don't like the "villagers" then you are in the wrong village for your family! Surround yourself and your kids with helpful, friendly, kind people who will be there for you when you need them. A community atmosphere keeps us accountable. If we are not accountable we are only held to our own standards and we tend to think anything goes for us! We forget to put others first and to do unto others as we would have done to us!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• NO!! Its mine and my husbands JOB as PARENTS to raise my child!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• When you have 8 babies at ones and already have 6 at home you need help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My responsibility to raise my daughter financially, but for the "village" to raise her by example.

Fortunately, the village for my daughter is a sisterhood of friends with very reputable moms that I can rely on (as well as they to me).
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 9:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 12, 2009