my 3 year old is coughing so much at night he throws up.

he sounds like he has a plem cough or raspy not to bad during the day but at night he has coughing fits he throws up lastnight was the 2nd night. i give him tylonal melt aways and hour before bed ( he feels warm ) but nothing seems to help. and were tired during the day due to less sleep. any ideas how to sooth him or his cough?

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Have you tried vicks vapor rub? They also have a vicks nightlight and I use that and it does help when they have a cough like that. You can also put in a humidifier that also works. And if its not any better tomorrow take him to the doctor you dont want to risk him having someone more serious like RSV or Bronchitus.

Answer by gemgem at 9:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• ohhhh vics vapor rub i forgot all about that stuff.. gonna have to get some and try that.. should i call the doc? im afaid i will go there and they will be like ohh its a cold nothing we can do.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Have you called the Dr.? My son has the same thing. Atleast it sounds like it. I had him to the Dr yesterday and he had a temp of 101 and he didnt feel warm. You can still have a temp even if they dont feel warm. They checked his pulse ox and it is low 93, but they are not worried about, he is still pretty active, not short of breath and has an ear infection and did not show any signs. They put him on an antibiotic and I will take him back tomorrow to check his pulse ox. But I do give my other boys honey, one will just take it from the spoon, but the other 2 like to have it in warm tea. That helps.
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 9:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Also try to keep his head elevated when he is sleeping, coughs tend to get worse when you are lying flat
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 9:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• at one time he feels warm and a slight temp of 100.1 and then an hour later its normal ( and i bought a new thermomter ) hes only groggy and you can see it in his face when he first wakes up other then that hes normal. running playing. but that cough gets to me and him.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would take him to the ER or Urgent care unless the doc will prescribe something over the phone. I would also try a humidifier. It's worth the effort so you all can get a good night sleep.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You could try asking the pharmacist for a recommendation for an OTC for the cough if you want to go one more night.
    happi-ladi