Does anyone know how to over come fears?

I need some serious help ladies. I am terrified of needles. My first Ob-gyn appointment is march 3rd and I know they are going to take blood. I am terrified and everytime I think about it my heart starts racing. Does anyone know any techniques to overcome my fear of needles before the appointment?

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would suggest a deep breathing/meditation session for 20 minutes to an hour every day until your appointment. Focus on doing everything you need to for a healthy baby, including sacrificing your comfort for a moment.

I do a technique where I visualize my fears as little mice. I pick them up, put them in a jar, and seal the jar. The mice run out of air, die, and *poof* they are gone. My four year old does the same thing except she puts butterflies in a jar and when she's not afraid anymore, the butterflies fly away.

And also tell your phlebotomist that you are afraid of needles. They tend to do what they can to make people comfortable.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 9:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Face them!! You'll see that what you have been fearing is far more less than the fear itself!! Take a deep breath and just do it.. Make your mind up to NOT let fear run your life!! :) Good luck!!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• When your afraid of something. You need to do what your afraid of. Yours is needles. Just go in and sit down and close your eyes. The before feeling will be worse then the actual needle stick. My youngest daughter was like that. She was sickly as a child, and had a lot of test done. She got better, and when she was a teen she had to get her first adult shot. She was freaking and crying. I told her it is not going to be as bad as you think. When she finally got the shot. She found it was better then she remembered as a child.

Answer by louise2 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have a fear of needles too and I'm not pregnant for the 3rd time - just take deep breathes and do it...it will be okay. And - the ladies taking blood and stuff at my OB are the BEST!! Which makes it all so much easier. I have tough veins to find and I've only had them miss 1 time - and that was when I was in labor so I didn't care really anyway!

Good luck - it will be fine.
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Think about what you are actually afraid of. why are you afraid of the needle? what do you think will happen? are you really afraid of the pain? try and figure out exactly what it is that bothers you and you'll most likely see that it is unlikely or silly. Definitly tell your nurse that you have a problem with needles and they will probably have some good techniques for you too. OB phlebotomists tend to be much more gentle and understanding than most. Good luck..you can do it !
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009