Were the Australian DJs at fault??

The two Australian radio DJs who prank-called the London hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated last week said they were "shattered" and "gutted" after the nurse who answered their call apparently killed herself.

Shock jocks Mel Greig, 30, and Michael Christian, 25, cried as they spoke to Australia's Channel 9 overnight in their first public interview since Jacintha Saldanha, 46, the nurse who last week connected the pair to the duchess' room, was found dead Friday morning.

"I'm shattered, gutted, heartbroken," Christian said. "Mel and myself are incredibly sorry for the situation and what's happened. I had the idea. … It was just a simple harmless phone call. It was going to go on for 30 seconds. We were going to get hung up on."

http://gma.yahoo.com/djs-gutted-over-uk-nurses-suicide-114857115--abc-news-topstories.html

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel like I'm in the minority when I hold the DJ's accountable for this. Maybe it's because I work in healthcare but the "they didn't expect to get through" excuse grates. It was their choice to continue the call and dig for information. The nurse (wrongly) assumed that the phone call had been vetted and she was authorized to provide information.

Do I think they should be held criminally accountable? Yes, but not for the suicide. I think they should be held accountable for fraudulently obtaining personal health information that they were certainly not privy to.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Her reaction isn't a normal one. I have to wonder how much more there is to her story and if she suffered from depression or mental illness. I wouldn't hold them at fault. They didn't get any groundbreaking information and she didn't say anything negative about the royals.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• No, they weren't. They made a prank phone call, thinking that they would never get through, DJs do that all the time. And the nurse should have known better than to speak about any patients condition without first confirming their authority to know. Its a horrible tragedy, but they didnt even think it would get that far, and being in the medical field, she should have known about confidentiality, especially when it comes to the royal family.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I read the link you posted but ATM I see coincidence. Did she leave a note saying that she killed herself because of this?

It was silly and stupid (prank) but there is no concievable way a person could foresee that someone would kill themselves because they put a phonecall through.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I don't think is was malicious. It's sad and stupid. I don't think they should have lost their jobs, but then again I'm not sure how hard I would be laughing at their pranks in the future.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I don't think they wanted to do any harm but in the end they did. A woman killed herself and left 2 kids behind her. So I don't care that they wanted to make a joke. Did they ever stop to think what all the jokes they made did to people who were on the receiving end ?

I think they will live with the guilt of the consequences of their decision for the rest of their life. As they should. Now I don't think any time in prison would make any good to anyone.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Legally, no. Morally, yes.

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• no. the nurse made the choice to off herself, the DJs didnt make her kill herself. should they feel bad, of course, but one prank does not cause a stable person to commit suicide. i dont think they should have lost their jobs b/c it isnt their fault that the nurse made this choice. move to a different type of radio show, sure, but losing their job accomplishes nothing. it was just a prank call that got thru...the tragedy comes from the nurse, not the DJs.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• It was a prank at first that the DJ's let go to far. When they realized that they were getting info they had no business getting they should have called a halt to it right away. Instead they let it go on. That's when it became a problem.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• " I think they should be held accountable for fraudulently obtaining personal health information that they were certainly not privy to"

i hadnt even thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2012