My MIL is flying in tomorrow to help with the baby... Question is- how much do I clean?

She is coming here with the intentions of helping me with the house and the baby and spending time with the kids because she lives in a different state.

So, do I super deep clean the house for her? Straighten up? Clean like normal?

She's coming to help... Do I spend all day cleaning in this situation? Probably? It would be rude not to?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Relationships

• Don't make yourself crazy! Make sure things are to a point where you are reasonably comfortable, and maybe have some cleaning projects in mind to make her feel useful and good about coming to help. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Okay. So maybe I will sit down and make a list of things that need to get done today and work off the list. I don't have the time or energy to mop the whole house and I don't want to be covered in cleaner and have to pick up my baby.... So maybe just the basics and de-clutter?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Totally dont worry about it. She is not coming to see a clean house. She is coming to see her granddaughters, and help you. Ive been in her shoes, and all I wanted was a place to put my suitcase.... Just let her enjoy those babies, and be helpful!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• straighten up, maybe sweep floors not mop and catch laundry up best you can and forge it! She knows your exhausted that is why she is offering to come help :)
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Just straighten up. She coming b/c she knows you need help.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• You have a newborn. Nobody on this Earth should expect your house to be spotless.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Make sure her sheets are clean and that the floor is swept or vacuumed. Clean the bathroom that she will be using. That's all I would do. If I had a newborn and someone said something about my floors I would tell them where to stick the mop. Kindly, of course.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• She knows you are not up to cleanin. So don't do any. let her do it. Play sick for a while.

Answer by louise2 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• If you super deep clean the house you will give the impression you don't need her help. Just make sure she won't be afraid to touch anything for fear of it eating her and you'll be fine.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Yes, I want her to feel wanted- because she totally is! I need help! I just cleaned the toilet and took out the recycling- I will sweep and vacuum and MAYBE mop. I made a list. It's mostly de-cluttering and re-locating toys back to the playroom, then making sure I have clean sheets and pillow cases for her sleeping quarters.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2012