Mommas who uses cloth diapers.....

I have twin boys who are 19 months old.....diapers times two is very costly....and I'm a single SAHM as well....I'm just trying to do whatever it takes to save MONEY!

I make my own homemade wipes which I LOVE and all I need is paper towels!

Anyways - so tell me more about cloth diapers....
- how much are they and how many comes in one package?
- how long does that one package of cloth diapers last? (after several washes?)
- How do you clean out poop?
- where can I buy it? Walmart? Target?
- is there anything else that I need to get for the cloth diapers (or does it all comes together? like a cover and snap-ons?)

Thanks soo much for your time....

jmartin571982

Asked by jmartin571982 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I make my own homemade wipes which I LOVE and all I need is paper towels!
    *You can go to a fabric store and pick up some flannel and terry cloth and make washable wipes which will come out even cheaper!

*depends on what you buy. I personally like Bum Genius. They are around $200 for 12
    *Until they're worn out (Like clothes wear out or underwear) With 2 using them I'm going to say around a year.
    - How do you clean out poop?
    *I dump it out in the toilet then throw the diaper into a wetbag until wash day
    -*where can I buy it? Walmart? Target?
    *for modern cloth diapers you're gonna need to hit the internet
    -is there anything else that I need to get for the cloth diapers (or does it all comes together? like a cover and snap-ons?)
    Again this depends on what kind you get.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• there aren't really packages you can buy at a store... but i would definitely check out all the cloth diaper mom groups on here. i'm in two, and all the moms have great ideas and suggestions. i think it's helped save us money, but i could have saved more by buying second hand or making my own, but i am really not sewing savvy. if you get tired of throwing away tons of paper towels, try a sheet of fleece cut up into squares. much more gentle on the bum and you're wasting anything. i know there's an argument about the washing bills making the actual diaper purchasing savings a moot point, but it's not true. not in my case anyway (i have two young boys who at one point were in dipes at the same time) and not in many other people's cases. so i just wanted to encourage you! you're making a good decision!
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 9:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It's been a long time since mine were in diapers but I used cloth with one of my kids. they last a long time and they are easy to clean. When I changed a diaper I rinsed it in the toilet and washed them with bleach.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• p.s. i went the cheap route and got prefold cloth dipes, snappis and then the prorap cover... all the cheapest available cloth diapering system unless you make them yourself. though i think it really may be worth it for the convenience to go the middle road and get pocket diapers gdiapers because when they're not good little newborns laying there peacefully while you change them, the fast factor REALLY makes me wish i had gotten the better ones in the beginning and not waste the money on stuff i was going to end up replacing. the only thing i feel like i splurged for was the bumgenius diaper sprayer, and i have to say it was totally worth it. you'll know what i mean when you research it :)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Ok - I looked into BumGenius! All in One Diaper.....ONE cost $15.95....I do laundry once a week....maybe twice if I have too....

How many should I order for one child??
    jmartin571982

Answer by jmartin571982 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I use prefolds and I Love them! I use snappis instead of pins and I use Thirsties diaper covers fit better - control leaks better and are just all around cuter than Prowraps!

I disagree that you need to do anything more - my daughter is a year old and we still have not had any problems using prefolds and covers. There is a learning curve - because there are many different ways to fold cloth diapers and depending on what stage of life you're in. I'd say for 19 month old you could just use the angel wing method and it's easy.

You can do even cheaper covers by buying the cheap, white, pull-on plastic pants (get at Walmart or Babies R Us) and they're jus a few bucks for 3 pair. They work great - I think maybe a little harder to get on and off a squirming child - but work very well. I have some at home for spare covers when I haven't done laundry.

Good luck!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2009