How does your religion/beliefs play a role in your parenting?

Do you talk about religion/beliefs?
How do you discipline?
Do you use your beliefs to teach your child?

My religion plays a huge role in how I parent....although, I make many mistakes and am not always the model parent lol. I was just curious how those with different beliefs than mine feel about incorporating their beliefs into parenting.

I really hope we can share without bashing each other.....no need to put down anyone, just share you're own opinion on your own family.....

deedee3849

Asked by deedee3849 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you talk about religion/beliefs? Yes!
    How do you discipline? The same way my Dad and Mom disciplined us. And Biblically.
    Do you use your beliefs to teach your child? God's Way..

DeeDee....Prov. 22:6 Tells us to train up our children... That is our role as Parents. I believe that children are a gift from God from Heaven above. And we should lead them down the right path...that Godly path. To love the Lord with all their heart, soul, body and mind! Our beautiful daughter was saved and baptized at the age of 6. Because she has been up the teaching and preaching of God's Word every since she came into this old sin sick world.
    Good Question..thanks for asking.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It may sound a little extreme, but I use the example of Hannah. I believe that God has a purpose for my children to work in his kingdom, so I am training them to do so. I see whatever talents and gifts that they have and I help cultivate that by letting them use them in the church or buying items to give them more practice. I also stress to my children that God has only lent them to me to train them until they get of age to serve him.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Really it plays some role but not an over abundance, I dont think anyway.
    We talk about spiritual things, we celebrate seasons and such. We discipline based on what we believe to be right for OUR family, we follow our hearts while parenting. We try and teach them to be kind and giving,etc. Those things are part of our spirituality but also just part of who we grew up being.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I'm Atheist so faith/religion/god has no place in my parenting. I'm teaching my children to be good people, right from wrong, and such. We don't feel it's necessary to bog down their minds with religious talks. They're children and we want them to be children and have fun and not have the heavy weight of Hell hanging over their little heads. If they do wrong I'd rather they worry about the consequences in THIS life, specifically at home. When they are old enough to be rational about decisions we are more than happy to help them choose a church/religion/faith if they feel it's what they want. In the meantime we don't discuss religion in front of the children and ask that our family respect our decision.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I pray, pray, pray for him to just go to sleep and quit crying and fighting it!!! Amen! lol.

On a serious note, I do base some of my parenting on my beliefs like "Do not provoke your children to anger." My dad did NOT follow that rule and it had some serious effects on me later on in my life. I will talk comfortably about my beliefs and sharing my experience, but I refuse to use it as a tool to condemn my children. I guess with anyone, they want to teach their children morals, right from wrong etc...
    Anonymous

• It doesn't. My children have been told about God and many different religions and the choice of no religion. I encourage them to find their own path. We still have morals and we still have rules, but none of it comes from religion.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It doesn't really, I raise my children to have morals and values but I don't think you need religion to learn them. I believe children need discipline but they also need to be kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We will teach our daughter about all different religions, but we're not going to indoctrinate her into any certain religions. We're not religious whatsoever.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We are teaching our children to rely on God in everything. Its not a religious mindset, its one that teaches relationship with God. We talk a lot about character and integrity and what God would have us do in any given situation. As far as discipline, we remove priviledges and that seems to work because my kids are older and they get the concept. We do spank on some occasions but its been rare lately. Spankings take a long time because we talk and pray before and after. We love God and the things of God and our beliefs about who God is and the plans he has for us are the foundation of our parenting. It doesn't always go smoothly but we get it worked out eventually. As for me and my house, we serve the Lord.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Dh and I both agree that we are not raising them to be any particular religion. We discuss things when they come up but leave the kids to make up their own minds. We have talked about what happens after death (what different faiths believe) and have talked about God, church/other places of worship, and things like that. My 6 year old son is very curious about these things. Probably the most direct way my own beliefs influence my parenting is in terms of what I value as a Buddhist... for instance my kids do know the notion of karma (that we must be mindful in our actions because our actions have consequences, for us and for others.) Another thing that I value is right speech/emotional restraint... that we must be mindful when we are angry so that our words do not hurt others. I have taught my ds to do a breathing meditation when he is mad until he is calm enough to use his words mindfully. This has done wonders for us!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009