Uh Oh! My Son told Santa yesterday that he wants.......

an Angry Birds Giant Mighty Eagle stuffed animal. I looked online to get one & they range from $79 & up! WTH?? I am really done shopping for him & don't want to spend that on an extra. Any ideas?? What would you do?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 2:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have an even worse one. My niece is asking for some male doll from Monster High series. That freaking doll is $300!!!!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Just don't buy it.  Kids aren't supposed to get everything they ask for.  I'm sure he'll be happy with his other gifts.  Or you could torture youself, return $80 worth of what you've already bought & get it.  I'd personally go with option A. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Aww, it is nice to know what they want. And also OK not to "make it happen."
    If he expresses some disappointment on Christmas day, just validate his feelings. (Don't try to cheer him up or point out his other great gifts, or argue with him if he claims he doesn't like them--even if he spent all morning playing non-stop with them! Just let him have his feelings as they are.) My daughter announced even closer to Christmas one year that she wanted the American Girl doll Felicity (who was being archived.) We were not in the market for the doll OR for starting a collection for her many (retired) parts & accessories. She had a great Christmas but at one point she expressed her disappointment about not getting that doll. It was hard for me not to engage that on multiple levels, but I just listened & she vented all her feelings then got back to enjoying her reality.

lol @ Lobelia's son's cookie request. My 4yo twins want Band-Aids!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Personally, I would never spend $80 on a stuffed animal. You know it's going to end up as a dustcatcher in the corner, so save yourself the trouble. If it was really important, you would have heard about it before now.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• when i was a kid i asked for a game boy every...single...year for 10 years. i never got one. i just learned to appreciate what i did get. i asked my mom about it a few years ago and she said "we didnt want to spend that much on one toy" (we were poor) and that she figured if i wanted it that bad i'd save up my Christmas money for one (i usually got about $100 from older family members).

so dont buy it...sometimes kids see something, think its the greatest thing ever, and then never play with it. he may not even remember asking for it by the time Christmas rolls around & he sees what great stuff he did get. also, girlwithC's advice about listening to his vent if he does notice its not there and just listening. sometimes kids need that...just like us adults do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• My dd asked him for a damn horse...a real horse. Lord help me.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Lol @ texasgurl.
    My son is 5 years old....he asked santa for cookies! haha.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• My now 8 year old has a knack for coming up with some pretty fantastic ideas for her wish list the closer we get to Christmas. My 10 year old has always been pretty good sticking to one list from start to finish. The one thing I've learned is that when the wrapping paper has been torn off and the afterglow of new 'stuff' sets in, they don't care much about what isn't there because they are focused on, and happy with, what *is* there.

I tell my kids that their wish lists are not orders, they are simply suggestions. They don't get everything they want. I also tell her there is a submission deadline because Santa needs time to get the presents, wrap them, and get the sleigh loaded. She's convinced anything after Dec 1st is beyond the deadline. :-/

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• i am done, mine asked for a furby 3-4 times this week
    i just tell her sorry we already mailed her letter
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Its so expensive because its a limited edition item.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2012