Please don't yell at me this is about food banks etc.

I am wondering about all the commercial ads I am seeing/ hearing in the media.
The phrase that is stumping me is that during the holidays our food banks, and other such organizations have a greater demand.

Can some one explain to me why this is?
I would think if you need help with food for your family, it would not change just because it was a holiday.
I am just curious.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Kids are on winter break for up to 3 weeks. That's why. Parents who rely on free breakfast and lunch actually have to feed their kids.

Answer by louise2 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• In areas with hartser weather conditions there are jobs that become seasonal. Here our lawns go dormant for 4-5 months so all the people with lawn and landscaping business lose lots of work, construction workers often lose work in cold, wet weather. Six Flags closes down for several months in the winter as does Morgans Wonderland and Schlitterbahn...LOTS of people out of work. Lots of times people who are just barely getting by are trying to provide a special meal when there is little else to provide for Christmas.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• There are more lay offs in the winter in most areas, creating a greater need. Plus, there aren't any gleaners in most areas in the winter.. (people who go out and get the left over harvest and give it to the food banks), so the food banks are missing that food. Plus the food banks try to give out a little more so the people can have a nicer meal for Thanksgiving, and Christmas.... Plus, people have to spend more on heat, electricity, etc so they dont have as much for food, putting more demand on food banks. Its kinda like a vicious circle....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I dont know if this is true or not but I heard more people are laid off during the holidays, maybe thats why?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Maybe alot of people work warm weather seasonal jobs,and are laid off in winter
    I don't really get it either

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Louise, that is an excellent point as well. I had even considered that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Maybe they need to put away money for christmas gifts? but those are free too, i'm not sure. cold weather makes you consume more calories?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Plus the food banks try to give out a little more so the people can have a nicer meal for Thanksgiving, and Christmas.... Plus, people have to spend more on heat, electricity, etc so they dont have as much for food, putting more demand on food banks

^^^this.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• i was thinking the same as Louise. thats a lot of meals to make up for.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Things can be more expensive for families when the weather is harder. Electricity and gas heating is more expensive. People have to buy their kids heavier clothing for the season. If they want to put any bit of money out on a few gifts for their kids that's that many dollars that aren't going to pay for food on the table. IDK. I suppose it would be difficult having to prioritize this time of year for many families. I have seen that there is a 400% increase in demand that some food banks and pantries are experiencing.  I believe that statistic was above past holidy seasons.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2012