My FIL volunteers in a food bank and mentioned this

He gets pallets of food that people will not accept. Some of it is fresh some canned and some is dairy.
He was mentioning cheese and how it amazes him that people coming in will not take the cheese.
Hes has mentioned over the years differnt fresh fruits and vegies and most are the standard varieties, basically anything that is not a tomatoe carrot potato cabbage apple or banana, they will not touch.

This perplexes me, especially the chese. I have been hungry a few times in my life and I do mean for weeks at a time. I did not got for assistance but that was my ignorance. However I would have taken anything and eaten anything just to put something in my stomach (I did not have children at the time but especially to put something in theirs)
I am not trying to criticize but I simply do not understand this. If people are going to bed hungry (and I know at least kids are) why do they refuse food that is offered?

I am looking to understand not to argue.

Thank you

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably all of the above reasons. Also, real hunger in this country is more rare because of FS and WIC.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• How is the refrigerated food handled?? Is it out of date? Is it kept cold enough?? maybe they've had a bad experience with getting spoiled dairy products??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Maybe they don't know how to prepare it? Hand me a turnip, I'm going to look at you like you're nuts, because I have no idea how to use it. Could be allergies, could also be that a dislike is strong enough that even starving doesn't make it palatable. I can't stand cooked cabbage. It literally makes me gag, as does asparagus - just the smell is enough to make me gag to the point of puking. So, if it's going to make me puke anyway, why should I try to eat it? Now there are other foods, like baked beans, that aren't a favorite and given a choice I'll eat something else - but if I'm hungry and that's my only option, yeah, I'll eat it.

Then there are those that are just picky and demanding. But I don't know that those are the majority.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• My Brother in law and My sister in law run the food bank out of their church. What they have said is most of the time it isn't about not wanting the fruits and veggies, usually they have no experience with it and no clue how to prepare. As for the cheese they never have a problem with people not wanting it. She told me especially the older people and those with little kids take it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I completely agree with the term "beggers can't be choosers" but maybe they refuse the food because they don't like it and know that they will not eat it? I mean, yes eating something you hate is better than starving but since there are other food options available, perhaps they choose the food that they like and refuse what they don't? I know I would rather never eat cheese again if it were a certain kind/brand, and yes I'd rather eat it than starve if it were my ONLY option but if I have bread, and canned veggies, etc. I wouldn't need the cheese.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I work for a non-profit, and we run into a little of that. FFA is right for some of it... it's a food allergy, or intolerance. And with cheese it could be a lactose issue. Some of it is ignorance on how to prepare it, so we print recipes using all of the food we have on hand that week. And, there is just some flat out entitlement in some people. They want what they want and that's it. But that is a very small minority of the people we serve. They are a real pain, and we just move them along so they dont spoil it for the families who are truly hungry and grateful for what we can give them.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Maybe they have no electricity to keep the cheese and too many veggies cold? Maybe they are not familiar with how to prepare certain veggies?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Food allergies? If I'm going hungry and you hand me something with cinnamon in it, I'm going to keep on going hungry.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• My cousin volunteers at a food bank and says the same thing. People will not take certain brands of bread cause its not to their liking, not cause of health reasons. And are picky over everything.
    She has told some to take the bread, spaghetti sauce and cheese and go home and make pizza for their children but they complain its not pizza.
    People need to learn to be creative and apppreciative especially in a society where so much food is thrown away as well as given to those less fortunate.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• IDK. I guess allergies and intolerance to certain foods is a perfectly legit reason to not accept it. I would think additionally, if a family does not like and won't eat a certain food, they simply don't want to take something they know they won't use. It's better to leave it there for someone that can and will use it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2012