Just how bad *is* labor?

My husband and I are ttc so I think of pregnancy a lot but every once in a while I'll totally freak out about giving birth to a baby. It sounds like a horribly painful experience that I just don't know if I can make it. Do you actually feel like you're going to die? Any advice?

javagirl531

Asked by javagirl531 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Trying to Conceive

• It is a horribly painful experience... but a wonderful one that you don't dwell on afterwards. Plus there are great drugs available, if you choose to use them. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• It is different woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. Both of my labors were inductions. Both were incredibly long labors. My first labor wasn't really that painful at all. My second was more painful, but still bearable.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• die? no
    painful? yes

*I will say my appendix bursting was probably worse on the pain scale
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• It's very much a horribly paiful experience, but it's different for each woman. Plus, there's the amazing epidural. The first few hours into my labor I was vomiting from the pain (but I'm a whimp when it comes to pain anyway) but less than 30 minutes after the epidural I was asleep and didn't feel a pinch throughout the rest of the delivery. Plus, while yes the pain hurts and impossible to "take your mind off of" completely it's not really about the pain, it's about the birth of your child! It's really a different experience from being in the hospital with some other kind of horrible pain.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• No, you don't feel like you're going to die lol. The contractions come in waves and each one only lasts about 30 seconds. You get some breathing room lol. But when they come, you just want more than aything for it to pass and be done with.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Death... nope, never thought that. Pain... in the final stage of labor, yes. But, it is a very short stage.

Thing about labor is... our bodies were made to do it so we do it well and if you roll with it, rather than fight it, its a whole lot easier. Once you get to the labor part of pregnancy you are SO SO very ready for it, it is VERY welcome lol. After the birth you wont think about it, because the reward is so worth the pain.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Having a rotted hole and exposed nerve in my wisdom tooth was far worse than what pain I recall from labor.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Depends. Some are more painful than others. One thing will be absolutely sure, your story will be yours alone.

I had epi's for both deliveries so my pain wasn't too bad.  Well, I take it back, on the first it was pretty intense until I got my epidural, and then it was smooth sailing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• It is a very personal experience and certainly it wears you out. My suggestion is not to listen to the horror stories, I do not know why we women feel the need to terrorize those who are pregnant. I had less than ideal pregnancies and I got all the way to delivery in less than 3 hours (that is not the norm however) with hardly more than bad "gas pains" Mine were to big to deliver naturally so I can not tell you about the final pushes. My DS was determined enough to push his way out if they didn't rescue him, smile. Should the need arise C sections are not horrible either.

My opinion is alot of it has to do with how you aproach it. Are you excited and ready, knowing it will not be a day at the beach, or are you terrified? If you are terrified and fighting it, I guarenttee you will make it into a horrible experience. If you have gone to the classes and are going in eyes open you will be happy
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• When the pains get hard and close,you kinda go into 'the zone" where the pain is so overwhelming that it's all you can think of
    Look into meditation and deep breathing exercises. If you calm yourself and breath deeply and evenly and let your body's intuition take over,the last stage of labor can go more easily.
    Yeah,it hurts pretty bad,but as soon as the baby is out,it stops just like that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2012