Orange Baby Poo

Tuesday night i fed my 7 month old carrots. She ate the whole jar. Last night when she went to the bathroom, she was constipated and i had to help her go and when i did, the first little bit was brown, but then it was bright orange. I mean orange. Is the orange part normal, and are carrots suppose to cause constipation? I would have thought no because they were a vegetable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honey my daughters was neon green this morning and she had chicken alfredo for dinner explain that one. yes the orange is normal i have never had carrots cause constipation though
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have never know carrots to cause constipation but the orange poo is normal.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Completely normal color. Unless her poop was hard when she did go then it wasn't constipation. New foods can cause a baby that is regular to not be, so now worries unless it was dry and hard.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Very normal, even without carrots, lol.

How did you "help her go to the bathroom"??
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I had to give her a glycerin suppository.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yes carrots can bind you up. And the orange poo is normal. Sorry your babe constipates easily. I have a child like that who is 11 and still has issues.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Its very common, I give my baby carrots daily and a part of her poo is always orange!! With regard to constipation was there something else which you gave her because carrots normally will not lead to constipation. But yes, if you are giving her carrot for the first time you can expect constipation. No worries
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 12:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Lol, okay I see. I just envisioned the old thermometer thing, which makes me shudder to even think about.

I had to give DD a saline enema at about 13 months after she had been struggling to poop for like 6 days. She had the biggest poo! Lol. Not like you needed to know that :P
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009