omg...my kid needs to sleep.....

ok it is getting out of hand now, 8 months old and won't sleep....well a little.....no hes not teething no hes not sick he is just being a pain in the ass.....my husband was off work for 2 month and got up with him when he woke up, Now he is back to work so I am home with him at night by myslef.....but before hub was off baby slept though the night he was able to fall asleep on his own and when he woke he fell back asleep.....but every whimper my hub went and picked him up gave him a bottle and rocked him back to sleep.......
it has been a week now and i am freaking exhaused, he will not fall asleep on hi s own he has to be picked up in the middle of he night to fall abck asleep.......

now how do i fix what was good but now is all jacked up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CIO, you are going to have to re-teach him. Some people don't believe in it, but if you don't want to be rocking him all night then give it a try. But read up on how to do it properly, it's not about letting him cry for hours.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Im a cry it out mama... He just wants someone there with him.. Give it a while before you go in there... He will go back to sleep... You just have to retrain him to go to sleep on his own...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• That's your answer right there .... daddy was there, now daddy is gone, and baby is having a hard time re-adjusting.

CIO has been proven to destroy a mother/baby bond and also cause brain damage (screamiing=can't breathe=lack of oxygen to the brain= brain damage)

The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantely is an awesome book, and WILL work if you follow it corrctly.

IMO CIO is heartless, and sad, he's just a baby, and if anyone reads anything about child development, they will see babies are not prgrammed to think in literal terms so that CIO works.

CIO teachers your baby to give up because no one is coming for him ... breaks my heart.

Have you considered co-sleeping? If all he wants is you, he may sleep like an angel with you, or next to you in a co-sleeper.

Good luck, and remember he is a little human being, not a dog to "retrain".

:)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i would let my dd cry for 5 mins go in hold her and love her for a min or 2 then put her back down for 10 then back in then 15 that way she knew i was listening i loved her calmed her down a bit but it was deff time for bed
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I used the CIO but my friend had great reasult using the ON Becoming Babywise method. It is a great book and I did try it but my dd was stubborn :) GL
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• This is actually a good thing - your baby is learning! Your husband just shot you in the foot with what he was teaching. =) I would do it gradually. I let my little one fuss and cry for a few minutes (unless it is a panic cry or what I call "red face"...i.e. she is really mad). If they don't settle down on their own, then go in their room and give them a kiss, scratch their back, play with their hair...whatever relaxes them. Don't pick him up and don't give him a bottle. Leave the room before he falls back asleep. He should watch you walk away. It can be very scary for a baby to go to sleep with you there and wake up to you missing. Give him a little longer to fuss each time (as long as he's not screaming). Eventually, he'll fall asleep on his own. Stay consistent. Babies thrive on consistency.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Sonaim-the babywise books have injured many children. check out ezzo.info.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You have to let him cry it out, he is FINE..... Let him fuss for like 15-20 mins. Everytime you go in there he is going to expect to get held, rocked, or a bottle. Sleep train him.....
    Anonymous

• How is a screaming baby FINE????

Training is for dogs, not humans.

We treat our children worse than anything in the world.

If you were taking care of your grandma, disabled husband/wife, etc, and she woke up in the night wailing and you ignored her, you bet your ass you'd be investigated for it, even go to jail. Yet we can do all sorts of horrible things to our children.

Please do your research on CIO and realize it is harmful.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Other baby gurus like Dr. Sears - who endorses products like the Amby Baby Motion Bed as an alternative - have long advocated against Ferber's methods.
    According to Dr. Sears' website:

"Science tells us that when babies cry alone and unattended, they experience panic and anxiety. Their bodies and brains are flooded with adrenaline and cortisol stress hormones. Science has also found that when developing brain tissue is exposed to these hormones for prolonged periods these nerves won?t form connections to other nerves and will degenerate."

"One study (at Harvard) showed infants who experienced persistent crying episodes were 10 times more likely to have ADHD as a child, along with poor school performance and antisocial behavior. The researchers concluded these findings may be due to the lack of responsive attitude of the parents toward their babies."
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2009