Is this ever the answer someone bullying your child?

Accepting it as inevitable and trying to see the good in the bully?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Each situation is different. The first action by me, the parent, would be to notify the officials/school/etc in charge. Complainting about it to strangers instead does nothing to help the bullied child.
    Ignoring people does help, sometimes...standing up to them at that moment works better.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I think this post has taken something out of context here. Looking for the good in others is not necessarily saying to look for the good in the bully itself. Of course we want our children to be strong & stand up for themselves. As parents we take it upon ourselves to look out for them as well. But lumping a whole group of people together b/c a select few have chosen to act unkind, is problematic in itself.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Ill be damned if any one of my children were being bullied and I'm accepting it as inevitable. I won't let my kids accept it either and be the ass of someone else's cruel jokes and treatment. They know to tell an adult in a situation like this and to defend themselves if necessary. Fuck seeing the "good" in some bastard bully that thinks my kid is their punching bag (physical or verbal)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Bullying is unacceptable for ANY reason. I would have a very hard time finding the good in a kid that bullied one of my grandkids.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Also, while I'm 100% for a kid being able to fight back, when there is a group of kids picking on one kid, it can escalate quickly. That's why it's sometimes necessary for us as parents to step in.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Never
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• . Complainting about it to strangers instead does nothing to help the bullied child.

No but coming here can help a Mom think more clearly and vent a little. We all do it.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• But lumping a whole group of people together b/c a select few have chosen to act unkind, is problematic in itself.

None of the Christians being supportive of the OP in that post felt "lumped in together". It was only a few scraping to make excuses for the behavior. What purpose does that serve?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• absolutely DJ, it helps a om gain perspective before going postal on a school employee etc. Geez some people!!!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• mom not om
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2012