What is the single most important...

conversation you have had with your child to date? If they are too young, what is a conversation you will one day have that you feel is important?

I just had a conversation about inappropriate touching with my 4 year old. It's extremely important to me that she know she can always come to me, regardless of what she may be told to the contrary. I didn't feel that I could go to my own mother, whcih was disastrous for me - definitely the most important conversation I could have with her at this age.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 7:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I've had the inappropriate touching one. But, the most important one I've had so far with my oldest was the "we're not going to live with daddy anymore" one.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• We have had an ongoing dialog about Stranger Danger!! Touching is part of that for sure.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Wow- good question. There are so many that we must have to keep them safe & level-headed as they grow. The talks about Stranger Danger, dating & sex, drugs & peer pressure, religious beliefs, (incl. death) & financial frugality come to mind. I think they are all important to have a well-rounded & well prepared individual.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• sexuality, inappropriate touching, drug use, alcohol use, personal religious beliefs (or lack thereof).
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• So far, the most important conversation I've had with my oldest son is why he can't climb out the window at 4 am and be brought home in a police car... again.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I don't think I can single out one specifically, more the ongoing theme of honesty and responsibility, which ties into the other biggies one way or another.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Talking to our 16 yr old son about sex, and all of the responsibility, and consequences that go with it. It's an ongoing conversation, but he has a girlfriend now, and they went on their first official "alone" date this past Saturday night. We're proud of our son, and pray he follows the right path.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• basically the ones sahmamax2 said and also the importance of loving your self and the importance of a good education
    * I have a 16 and 19 yr old
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• She is only three but one of most important coversation I would probably say would be one about self esteem. so many girls have issues with that and ofcourse being the leader and not the follower and ofcourse the inappropriate touching and stranger danger.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• right now its been the "we dont touch ourselves in public" b/c for some reason she's always got her hands in her pants. i never thought id have that conversation with my DD, thought it was a boy problem haha. we also recently had the "difference between boys & girls" talk, so we should have the touching one soon. she will going to before/after school care next year (if all goes as planned) so that will become a must.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2012