What is the best route to go for store bought hair color?

I'm naturally light brown headed I frequently get blonde highlights. But hate when my roots come back in and I don't feel like paying to go to the salon. I've tried store bought brand and it doesn't work well with my hair. The blonde dye turns my hair like weird orange and the brunette dye stays in maybe a day then my highlights come back through . Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• At the salon, they are (probably) bleaching your dark hair and then applying a color (toner?). You aren't getting the bleaching effect with the store bought stuff.
    The stylists will explain it better but- that's the basic reason why you're having issues.
    Gotta bleach to go from dark to light.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I wouldn't do it. When you do go back to the salon, they'll have additional work/trouble trying to cover up/blend the new color in with your cheap store bought color.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I've always believe never go lighter at home. If you're going lighter, go to a professional. Darker is easier to do at home.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• all I'm gonna say is, they go to school for so many hours for a reason...

going darker is one thing but whn you start messing with highlights and such- that is entirely different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• There isn't a best route, unless you go to Sally's and have them tell you exactly what you need to buy to help your hair. They are usually pretty honest. If it's something they wouldn't mess with, they will tell you to go to the salon.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I hear ya. I just keep paying because it's like my ONE guilty pleasure.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• No idea. Have you tried calling a hairdresser?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I buy my haircolor and toner at a beauty supply store. The quality is so much better than the boxed hair color. It does take some experimenting to get the right color/toner combination but well worth the total cost of $20 once every six weeks (and my DD's time to help tough up the roots) as opposed to $125 for the cut/color combo and time spent sitting around in a hair salon.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• With DIY kits you shouldn't go more than two shades lighter OR darker for the best results
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• For myself I would go back to the salon..
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2012