Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I am a single mom of three sons facing eviction in Troy, NC. I have been drawing unemployment since July 2012 but it runs out Dec. 29 2012. I work part time as a waitress but its not enough to pay my rent which is $500.00 per month. I am not even a month behind but my landlord said he is going to evict me. What can I do?

I have never been in this situation before. I feel like a failure as a mother at this point. I have completed all classes required for my A.A.S. in Medical Assisting except Math 140. I can not find a job anywhere. Im so stressed.

Answer Question

Asked by StressedMom121 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Money & Work

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I'm so sorry to hear your struggles. Can you find something smaller and cheaper? Also check with your state for assistance, they might be able to help. I hope it all works out for you...

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Try calling 211.

    Answer by DJDNY at 9:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Call 211( a free call) - they will be able to direct you to every service available to you in your area.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Do you have family/friends that can help with the rent and/or place to stay temporarily?

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Keep in mind that eviction is a legal process. In most states, she will have to give you notice and then, if you do not pay, she will have to file with the courts. You can only be legally evicted after the court approves that course of action.

    Your state may differ so do a Google search of Renter's Right in (insert state here)

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Is that legal?
    To get unemployment, wages and tips?

    Answer by feralxat at 9:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • I didn't think so unless it is all under the table and it is illegal but hard to trace.
    As a manager of 2 apartment buildings I had to sometimes evict people.
    Rent is due, usually on the first and after the 5th ther is a late charge.In the fifth a note would be posted on the door to pay or face eviction. Some states allow a second late charge if it is even later in the month. If the rent was over due by 2 weeks I was allowed to evict. Most managers will work with people because if I can keep them in the apartment it ultimately costs the business less. Generally for me it wiould take about 2 more weeks for me to get the eviction granted by the court. Then I have to wait for the county to poston the door and they try to deliver in person a notice of eviction. I have had only one case where the judge gave them less than a week to be vacated from the property. At that point the sheriff will come and supervise the remova

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • I do not know the laws in NC on this but you can call 211 and they can give you information for NC.
    For me to rent there had to be proof of income and good credit rating. You may be able to find low income housing that will work with you in some of that but the wait can be quite long to get into one (here).
    When I lived in NC the two jobs that were always looking for people was teaching and medical (anything) I do not know what the situation is now.
    If you can move back with your folks for a while and get on your feet, that would be my best suggestion.
    Definitely call 211 and see what services are available to you.
    BTW are you receiving CS? If not you should be and look into food stamps and food banks to help with your houehold costs.

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

  • Wait you are getting unemployment? How much per month? How much do you make from waitressing? And you don't have enough from these sources to pay 500? I don't understand. However, the others are right call 211 apply for section 8, food stamps and medical. Where is the child (RENs) father? Does he pay child support? If not apply for child support enforcement.

    Answer by booklover545 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • yes I am allowed to recieve some unemployment but I have to claim what i make which is $2.13 per hour and i usually average $7 to 20 per night in tips which isint even my gas $ to and from to be honest..but at least I am trying..I am allowd to draw $139.00 if I dont go over making 48$ per week. I have talked to my manager at the resturant where I work and after I did instead of giving me more hours she actually cut my hours. Im not looking for a free ride in life and I have never been in this situation before, thats why I am so stressed out. From my understanding Section 8 has a few years waiting list. My sons father is unemployeed and is currently trying to get disability. I have recieved 55$ in 2 & 1/2 years. however he does watch them so i can work without paying a sitter on the weekends. I just recently got emergency food stamps, Im a very prideful woman and its been hard asking for help.

    Comment by StressedMom121 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.