Did you get all of your holiday traditions from your family (or DH/SO's) or..

Have you come up with a few all your own? Most of ours are from our childhood, but we have two that are "ours". We decorate gingerbread houses with the kids, and we all open one gift on Christmas Eve - new pajamas for everyone to wear Christmas morning.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Just for Fun

• We combined them to make our own!

My family opened gift from each other on Christmas Eve and had Santa gifts on the day of. DH family did it all on Christmas day. So the kids get to open gifts with my parents on Christmas Eve and when they get home they open new Christmas PJ's to put on. Then we open gifts form each other and Santa in the AM before heading out to see DH family in the afternoon.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I made my own... We didn't really have any that would work with how our family does Christmas. When I was a child we went to Midnight mass, our boys haven't even seen the inside of a church, and won't...

We do gingerbread houses, and the 1 gift on xmas eve. We also do the yearly parade in town, and make cookies on xmas eve morning.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Everything we do, we've done on our own. We haven't adopted any traditions from either of our families.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• We're always with my parents for Christmas, so things are pretty much the same. The only thing I've changed is that the one gift opened on Christmas Eve is always pajamas. When I was growing up it was the luck of the draw.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• This might sound crazy, but we actually cut down a tree and put it INSIDE the house for Christmas. Pretty sure we are the only family that does that!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• we combined them. we have a pickle ornament & present (DH's family) and our Christmas Eve night is from my family. ive given up somethings (like opening all non-Santa presents on Christmas Eve) and he gave up on some too (big Christmas dinner). i cant think of anything we do that is just ours.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• We've been together for five years now, but our traditions are still working themselves out because of some rocky family relationships. My daughter and I usually go to an early Christmas Eve service. Sometimes Dad comes along; sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes my stepson is with us; sometimes he isn't. I like to have a festive Christmas breakfast, which was a tradition in my family growing up. We don't usually open presents till Christmas morning. In years past, we've sometimes celebrated with one side of my family or the other, or gone to visit my boyfriend's ex wife--the three of us are still friends, and meeting at her house made it easier for the kids so they didn't have to choose where to be. Those visits might not happen this year, so we may just stay in jammies all of Christmas Day and play with our new toys!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Most of ours are from our families. But we grew up eerily similar so many of them were the same.

Answer by missanc at 6:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• We've combined. We do the Feast of Seven Fishes from DH's family and Potica from mine. Most of our traditions involve food of some sort.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Alot from family and some of my own. The Santa Family Gift is mine as is International Christmas which sort of first happened in college and was revived when I left my ex and could not afford traditional Christmas dinner. Now it is a treat. This year we are having tamales, Curry and Thai lemon chicken and a few other yummies.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 11, 2012