When is a good age to take the pacifier away?

My son will be a year old in a month, should i take it away at a year old? We usually only give it to him when he sleeps. He is one of those that loves his binky!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe that at a year it should only be used for sleep purposes. Then it is up to you when to take it away. I think anywhere between one and two is good time to do away with it completely. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It should be taken away before they get teeth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i took my sons at about six months...i didnt give it to him to go to sleep with either...take it and be done with it...then you only have a few days and nights of whining and never have to deal with the issue again...
    Micahbabysmommy

Answer by Micahbabysmommy at 10:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• The sooner the better, before they can say PLEASE and melt your heart away, before they realize they can manipulate mommy and daddy into giving in, before they get too addicted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• the sooner the better and the easier it is to take away. if he only uses it to sleep with he will probally be easy to get it away from him. next time he's ready for bed and he wants the paci tell him its gone it was lost. he may cry some first night but if you keep it away the first night then the second night it should be easier. my lil one really did lose his and so when it was time for bed he cried a while but i just kept reassuring him mom and dad was there and that he ws ok and a big boy. he didn't cry very long till he was asleep and the next night he didn't even ask for it. good luck....
    lucy0128

Answer by lucy0128 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My lil one is 2 and loves her binky! Our doc said that its really up to me but when she is done she will just one day not want it anymore. I hope this is true because she wont give it up. I tried to take it and she cried for 3 hours till finally we gave it back she a sleeping within 5 min. Iam PG now and with thisis baby I wont give him/her a binky. Best of luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It's mostly up to you.

I decided that if by 18 months my daughter was still using hers I would take it away. She's 15 months now and gave them up on her own about a month or so ago.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 8:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2009