"Object? Then homeschool."

Those are the words of a compassionate, concerned senator in Alabama who is defending a school's decision to continue to invite a persona called "Bible Man" into their public schools to teach the students about the Bible and Jesus.

This ties into the post below about children bullying other students over religion.  It's not a newsflash that religion does not belong in public schools, and it especially should not be invited or promoted by anyone paid by the local or state governments to educate or assist with the education of public school students.  Yet it is violated practically every day in schools, especially in the Bible Belt.

There is no way to justify that remark.  Every child is entitled to FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) in an environment that is not hostile to differences.  Religious instruction should take place at home, or at the religious institution of the parents' choice.  To allow religion to be brought into schools is tantamount to promoting or establishing an official religion, and it's wrong.  To allow, or to ignore, students bullying another student because he's not involved with the "right" religion is wrong.

I think the senator is suggesting homeschooling to the wrong parents. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I agree. It shouldn't be brought into the school. If you want to teach your kid about religion do it at home. If you don't like that the schools don't do it, then homeschool your kid.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Art. 3. Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.

And this seems to indicate that religion does belong in schools, at least to some degree.  But then, since this was written in 1787 or so, I can see how it might be considered outdated in todays culture.

29again

Answer by 29again at 11:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I had not seen this. I would hope that you would be able to opt out of this persons visit like you can almost any other assembly of courses such as sex ed if you do not want your child to hear it.
    I personally do not think that it is right for a public school to ask one denom to com and speak to the children unless all denoms (that means any religion) and able to have one of their clergy elders or spokesperson come and also speak. That would be like a world of religions. Even though atheists say the are not a religion I would also feel that someone of that persuasion would be asked to also talk. I have no problem with an exposure to all religions. I have an objection to it being a specific one, even if it is my own (it is not) unless it is a religious school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• i think it can be brought into schools under the right, education only circumstances, and only at the secondary level as a completely optional elective. and only under the close eye of unbiased administrators with an unbiased teacher.

but yeah, Bible Man doesnt have anything to do with a good education...just like creationism doesnt belong in a science class.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Religion can't be brought into school here (France) and I think it shouldn't be brought. Religion is a personal matter.

Now if he wants to introduce the Bible, why not ? But then they need to introduce the Torah and the Koran and any other holy book for other religions.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• The minute he begins to teach about Jesus, instead of just the bible and it's history he has crossed a line. ANd the school crossed a line by only having "bible man" come and not "Koran man" "Buddha man" "atheist man" etc come in as well.

This trying to "expose' kids in puplic schools to Jesus has got to stop. It is not innocent education-it is an attempt at conversion and that should be left up to the parents. Not some "bible man" who has an agenda.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Having kids "opt out" is not a fair solution.  As was pointed out in the article, kids this age are too young to be required to make these decisions, and it only serves to isolate these kids.  Many schools have a history of this sort of activity, and there are many adults who still remember the humiliation of having to leave the classroom when religious activities were taking place.

Public school is not the place for religious instruction.  There are plenty of churches, especially in the South, so if a child is missing religious instruction, it is not the responsibility of the public school system to fill that "gap".  If it's that important to the parents, they should be making an effort to provide that instruction to their kids themselves, not asking other parents to homeschool their children because the school refuses to follow the law.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I do homeschool my children, by choice for a variety of reasons. But I would have been very angry if I was forced to do so in order to keep my child from being forced to learn about religion at school. I'm a strong believer in the separation of church and state, and of allowing my children to make their own decision about what religion, if any, they wish to practice. I don't want them being a captive audience (which is what they would be in this circumstance) to ANY religion, no matter what it is. Public education is religion free - or should be. If someone wants to pray, or read their Bible, on their own, fine. But it should not be something that is required of all students, regardless of their or their family's feelings on it. If you want your kid exposed to religion at/through school, then you should homeschool or find a private, religious based school.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• There are private schools and Sunday School and youth groups, VBS in the summer for the youngers. I am all about raising mine to know the Bible however I do nto force it. We go to church sometimes, others we do not. Mine is in a private school that teaches the Bible. This is my choosing, not forced upon me.

While I think that there should be an optional outlet for kids that are religious and cant afford private scsool I do not think that the above is right. Our Public school system has a get together after school 2x a week in the gym after school for a devotinal type meeting it is no particular denomination and I am shocked how many kids went a few years ago I have not been apart of it since 2008 so not sure. But if kids want it and they ask for it that is how it needs to be handled. OUT side of school hours.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I think this is the point where, if I were unfortunate enough to live in Alabama, I would be contacting the media as I petitioned the state to reimburse me for all the homeschooling materials I deemed necessary, including new computers and software, as it would be an undue hardship for me to pay for it on my own, and I was being "ordered" by the state to homeschool since they refused to provide a religion-neutral environment as guaranteed by the first amendment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2012