What is a heart murmur and how serios is it?

JennieMarie1103

Asked by JennieMarie1103 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Health

• Usually a heart murmur is an indication of a hole in the heart (it can also be an abnormal rhythm). When my daughter was born she had VSD (as mentioned above). It was monitored and by 3 it had closed on it's own, but she developed PDA (Patent Ductus Artiriosis). There is a small duct in the heart that allows blood to bypass the heart before baby is born. After birth it should close on its own. Her's didn't. 14 months ago she had a minor surgery to insert a small piece of titanium wire into that duct to close it up.

Generally speaking, the louder the murmur, the smaller the hole in the heart. At least, that's what the doctors told me in regards to my daughter's heart.

The VSD and the PDA have never affected my daughter's quality of life, nor has it slowed her down in the slightest. Some heart defects CAN affect quality of life though. Keep in close contact with the doctor(s).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• It depends.  My younger daughter had a congenitive heart murmur, and had to see a pediatric cardiologist for about a year, but then it and the VSD (ventricular septal defect, which is a fancy name for a hole in her heart) healed itself.

Here's an overview from the Mayo Clinic.

I hope that helps.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• it does depend, I have one, its never given me a problem nd it was only detected when I was about 17!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• It depends on a number of things. How old is the person with the murmur? Many, many babies have one that disappears on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• i had one at birth, and as far as i know still have it (26 years old) no major problems, occasional heart palps and chest pains but it may or may not be a symptom of the murmur. my youngest had hers detected at her 2 year check up, and they weren't concerned about it at all.

a friend of mine in highschool had a murmur, but hers was a little more serious as she had to take medication for it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2012