Does anyone really need to think about what the choice should be? An article by Star Parker?

Six years ago I wrote a book called "Uncle Sam's Plantation." I wrote the book to tell my own story of what I saw living inside the welfare state and my own transformation out of it.
I said in that book that indeed there are two Americas. A poor America on socialism and a wealthy America on capitalism.
I talked about government programs like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Training (JOBS), Emergency Assistance to Needy Families with Children (EANF), Section 8 Housing, and Food Stamps.
A vast sea of perhaps well intentioned government programs, all initially set into motion in the 1960's, that were going to lift the nation's poor out of poverty.
A benevolent Uncle Sam welcomed mostly poor black Americans onto the government plantation.
*continued*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Those who accepted the invitation switched mindsets from "How do I take care of myself?" to "What do I have to do to stay on the plantation?"
    Instead of solving economic problems, government welfare socialism created monstrous moral and spiritual problems. The kind of problems that are inevitable when individuals turn responsibility for their lives over to others.
    The legacy of American socialism is our blighted inner cities, dysfunctional inner city schools, and broken black families.
    Through God's grace, I found my way out. It was then that I understood what freedom meant and how great this country is.
    I had the privilege of working on welfare reform in 1996, passed by a Republican congress and signed into law by a Democrat president. A few years after enactment, welfare roles were down fifty percent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Instead of poor America on socialism becoming more like rich American on capitalism, rich America on capitalism is becoming like poor America on socialism.
    Uncle Sam has welcomed our banks onto the plantation and they have said, "Thank you, Suh."
    Now, instead of thinking about what creative things need to be done to serve customers, they are thinking about what they have to tell Massah in order to get their cash.
    There is some kind of irony that this is all happening under our first black president on the 200th anniversary of the birthday of Abraham Lincoln.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Worse, socialism seems to be the element of our new young president. And maybe even more troubling, our corporate executives seem happy to move onto the plantation.
    In an op-ed on the opinion page of the Washington Post, Mr. Obama is clear that the goal of his trillion dollar spending plan is much more than short term economic stimulus.
    "This plan is more than a prescription for short-term spending-it's a strategy for America's long-term growth and opportunity in areas such as renewable energy, health care, and education."
    Perhaps more incredibly, Obama seems to think that government taking over an economy is a new idea. Or that massive growth in government can take place "with unprecedented transparency and accountability."
    Yes, sir, we heard it from Jimmy Carter when he created the Department of Energy, the Synfuels Corporation, and the Department of Education.
    Anonymous

• Or how about the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 -- The War on Poverty -- which President Johnson said "...does not merely expand old programs or improve what is already being done. It charts a new course. It strikes at the causes, not just the consequences of poverty."
    Trillions of dollars later, black poverty is the same. But black families are not, with triple the incidence of single parent homes and out of wedlock births.
    It's not complicated. Americans can accept Barack Obama's invitation to move onto the plantation. Or they can choose personal responsibility and freedom.
    Does anyone really need to think about what the choice should be?

http://www.urbancure.org/article.asp?id=3141
    Anonymous

• Why would anyone want to go from How do I take care of myself?" to "What do I have to do to stay on the plantation?"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Interesting but the article says its a choice. People choose to allow Uncle sam to control their lives. What needs to be done is not just a hand out but a hand up. People need to be required to go back to school, job training etc so they can learn how to better their lives and not simply sit around wondering whats going to happen next? Or when does my next food stamp alotment come in. There are plenty of solutions out there to help the poor.

Answer by gemgem at 10:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Or there is always that sink or swim theory. You better be on board or no one will bail you out. Imagine that personal responsibility.

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 10:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't think 85% of the people on gov't assistance "need" it. I think they need to get out and DO something. You know that thing called WORK and TRY. And I do not want to hear the sob story any more there are many many people who get out of the poor neighborhoods. It a CHOICE to go down those roads and a majority of the "black folks" in those hoodsrefuse to hte call the police for crimes and so perpetuate their own problems!  If they want to live in better neighborhoods and have a better quality of life then THEY have to stand up to these forces in their lives and and the influences (rap music , drug culture) Need to stop being the cool thing to them!  And yes I am white and you can bash me but before you do start making excuses check out Mr. Bill Cosby's beliefs!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Personal Accountability. If only Every American had it. What a wonderful place this would be.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Grlygrlz2...I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2009