• In the Spotlight:

Ice skating?

I've never been ice skating and I don't know the first thing about it. My cousin and her husband have invited my boyfriend and me to bring our four-year-old daughter to an ice skating event this Saturday evening. They has a six-year-old daughter who has skated before, I think, and the two little girls are best buds when they're together. I think the event involves a short ice show and then skating for everyone. Our two families will have dinner afterward.

So my question is, would ice skating be something a four-year-old could do and enjoy? Her dad and I aren't really athletically inclined, so could we walk along with her on plain old shoes? With no prior experience, could a preschooler gain enough proficiency on the ice to have a good time in a short while? How should she be dressed? Anything else I need to know?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2012 in General Parenting

• Oh... clothes... Parachute pants (any that are more or less water resistent, even some fleeces are). Jeans are fine, but they suck up water like a wick and she'll get cold quickly with her bum covered in water. A tee and a light sweater or jacket, anything more and she'll sweat then actually grow cold. Gloves or mittens, protect those little fingers from the ice and from rogue skates.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• All of mine enjoy skating both on and off of the ice and have done so since they could stand... I skate, so that helps, but... They *will* let you on the ice without skates *IF* you are wearing non-slip ice grippies for your shoes. They're made of silicone and have little teeth- forget where you can buy them, but they work wonders and pop on over any shoe.
    Don't expect miracles at first, your little one can use a walker on the ice until they're confident to let go. My two youngest are 5 and 7 and skate better than most of the adults we see on the ice. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Bring extra clothes becasue if she falls, she'll get wet from the ice.
    She should enjoy it... Have fun and skate with her - great family memory...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Our ice rink has little walkers for kids to use! My kids started skating at the age of 3 and it comes fast for them....shorter distance to fall! lol Definately wear warm clothes and do consider a change of pants in case they are soaked. I would highly recommend gloves! Have fun!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Most places don't allow people on the ice without skates, so you would have to do it with her.  I have gone skating before with my son at about that age. He seemed to enjoy it but it was a lot of falling down and holding on to the rails. Will it be an outside or indoor skating rink? I normally just wore my regular clothes (jeans, shirt) along with gloves and maybe a jacket depending on if it was outdoors or indoors. Also, expect your shins to hurt like crazy.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I think I will be fun and a great experience for all of you..
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• she will love it, as jeremysmom said I highly doubt they will let you on the ice without skates, never seen that allowed. Just go with her stick to the edge, I am sure they other people with you will help you, do they know its your first time? Its all about fun, you wont be the only one falling over!! Teach her to fall with closed fists not fingers out, its safer, dont want blades running over any fingers, just keep the the edge until your more confident and you wont have anything to worry about.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My oldest loved ice-skating when he was 4 ! He never ice-skated before but in no time he was able to move around the ice rink (where I moved holding the railings.) lol

A jean with a t-shirt + sweater is fine, a light coat if you think she's going to be cold (it's better not to dress her to warmly while she sakes but cover her once she's over). Remind her that if she falls she has to close her hands into a fist ! It's really important so no one can cut her fingers if she's spread on the ice !

I think she will have tons of fun especially if she's going with her best friend. :)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 5:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• its fun...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2012