Can wallpaper be removed without removing paint on wall beneath?

MairaBehran

Asked by MairaBehran at 5:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You can lightly score the surface of the wall wallpaper murals with a wallpaper scoring ball then spray with warm soapy water. The wallpaper will come right off. Scoring the paper allows the water to penetrate the glue underneath faster after it’s been soaked. Use a dull putty knife to make removal easier. Make sure you don't over score into the wall surface. Start at the top when spraying the warm soapy water. Adding soap to the water makes for easy clean up of the glue left on the wall. Next time you wallpaper a room use wallpaper sizing on the wall first then you shouldn't have the problem of removal.

MarkitaGranbois

Answer by MarkitaGranbois at 2:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• it can be, but makes it SOOO much more work! it really just depends on how old the wallpaper is (the older it is the easier it comes off at least from my experience), if it was glued on properly (makes it harder to get off), or if they were dumb like the ppl who owned our house before us...painted over the wall paper (hell of a project to get that off!!).

9 times outta 10 you're gonna have to repaint, simply because you'll need to fill in holes, paint over scour lines, and any steamer damage (it can warp the paint color).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I seriously doubt it. I think the paint would, at the very least, get damaged in a few spots.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I have a different opinion - yes, it can be. I've removed it in my brother's house and the paint underneath was fine, and same in my own house (where the wallpaper is as old as me and the paint underneath is older). Just have to use the right tools to do it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• The condition of whatever paint is under your wallpaper will not be very good, I'm afraid. No matter how you take it off, there will be glue residue that will need to be, at the very least, washed off with super hot water and possibly a chemical agent.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Using a steamer might work.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• There is also the option of textured paint, so you don't have to remove the wallpaper at all (:
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Generally speaking, no. It either needs to be pierced with a porcupine tool and doused with water/solvent to release, or be steamed off of the wall... there's also the simple reality of ripping and scraping but that results in a lot of refinishing.
    Regardless of what you do, there will always be a need for finishing work.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2012