Im confused on this whole gingerbread shop thing

my kindergartner's school hosts an annual gingerbread shop this time of year. its her first year, so a new experience for us. i am familiar with the concept though, as one of her old preschools did this.

anyway, a flyer was sent home with very little explanation. just that its from tomorrow til next wednesday, items range from .50 to 6.00, and to "make a list" so they can shop for family and friends.

okay, so do i make a list of family members, or of items? (of which i have no clue are, considering i wasn't given a list of what is on sale)

and, do i send the money in with this "list"? not knowing what she'll pick out and exactly how much to give her?

im probably going to have to communicate with the teacher on this, unless one of you can help me understand, having done this before?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Holidays

• I usually gave my kids like 5 bucks and told them to get what they wanted for us- *me- hubby and my son
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:33 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I usually gave my kids money and them decide what they ranted to get for family members. It's cute to see what they select for us.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• We had the same thing last week. I just went to the school at the specified time & shopped with my Son when his class arrived. Some kids had the list & were assigned an adult to walk around with them to help them select gifts. Mugs for $5.50, Keychains for $3.50 etc.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I always gave mine a certian amount adn a list of who they wanted and they had adults to guide them
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• The way our PTO does it is we send home an envelope with lines for mom, dad, grandma, etc along with blank lines and then you put the max amount you want them to spend on each person. You place enough money to cover the max amount in the envelope in either cash or check form. If the child does not spend that much the change is put in the envelope and sent back home. There are adults in the store to help the youngest figure out what to get for people. There isn't a lot to choose from but things that say grandma or mom in each price. Most the stuff is fairly cheap stuff, but the kids LOVE picking it out themselves and giving it and what grandparent doesn't appreciate something picked out just for them!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• We do a Santa shop... you make a list of the ppl you wish your child to shop for
    and send in the money. There are ppl there to help your child with the shopping.
    you can also put a price limit next to ea person they are shopping for and a lot of
    times ( I do this every yr) send extra and allow your child to buy something for themselves.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• When you make a list it helps those who help ex. 2.00 dollars on mom 1.00 for friend. It's just easier for the helpers that way. Then the helpers can guide them to with section they can afford at least for the younger ones.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I just give my kids 5.00 per person on the list. Which is us, siblings, gparents and uncle and sometimes a special friend. Just send in your money with your list and put next o name xxx is for mom.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I ran the Santa's secret Shop for our school for years.
    You make a list of the people that are on her list. Volunteers will help if they can not find what is just right but the decisions will be hers.
    You send whatever money you allow her to spend. I suggest in a ealed envelope with her name and the amount on the outside so it doesn't have to be openned until she is ready to pay at the registered.
    The shops are for kids to purchase gifts and be able to keep them a secret from others until Christmas. I suggest you have wrapping paper and tape and premade labels for her when she gets home. It is a magical experience for most children.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• You can certainly go to the shop with your child, but it does take a bit of the magic away from the whole idea of them getting to shop on their own in a safe place.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2012