Well, damn

So, the tree was on this morning and one of the strings of lights went out - I go to look and the bulbs are all black ...hubby says unplug the tree because it will blow out any that are connected to that string now. UGH...I do not want to have to take it all apart-put another sting on it and re-decorate it!

should I just leave it unplugged until then?
GRRR

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 7:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Holidays

• I would just add lights, see what happens & leave that strand on. Remember though, you are only supposed to connect three strands of lights together at a time then plug the next three into an extension cord. Other wise you overload that line (blow a fuse on the line, burn out the lights). We run an extension cord with multiple outlets up the center of the tree then connect them all from there.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• You can also unplug that string and just leave it on the tree. Put a new string over the dead string.

This happened to a friend of mine about 20 minutes before her Christmas party. The entire middle of the tree was dark. I loved her attitude though - she called it her Bikini Tree!!!
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 8:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I'm lazy and would disconnect that strand, and add a new strand over top!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Just sucks-I already had to put extra strings on the bottom when I put it up...and no too many aren't connected...I'm gonna have to tear all the lights off it when I take it down this year and start over next time I think...bleh that's what happens when your pre-lit tree is 7 yrs old!
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• This is what I have done before...
    Either take the tree apart and re string or
    unplug THAT string from the other lights in the tree and add and another string (with out removing bad string)
    or just unplug bad string and leave it...add a few extra decorations to the area...
    and I have done this to a pre-lit and a non pre- lit...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2012