What can I do about my issues at work?

I've recently started a new job in a very small retail space. There are maybe 10 employees...4-5 are there at the same time & we have two registers.

I heard a couple of the leads talking about the registers being short. One of them told me that I needed to stay on one register. I log on/off and I switch between registers. Having 4-5 people & only 2 registers, sometimes you cannot avoid ringing on a different one...I just want to get the people taken care of...especially if someone else is in front of my register wrapping a gift, talking to a guest, etc.

At my other job, we would have our drawers counted down b/w shifts & there was accountability there. And I have never had issues w/ money or my register.

So the registers have been short this month so far. I have been there for a month. I feel like the two leads are blaming me for it. (I kind of overhear them...they do not say my name or anything...but I can just sense something.) I do not want them to think that I am stealing. And I am very careful at work b/c I deal w/ more cash than debit cards & checks. I count my money out loud & I've never had a problem. Yes, handling money does make me kind of nervous, but I am very careful.

Also, I heard one of them saying, "If you don't know the answer, don't answer the phones..." and later told me not to worry about answering the phones. But no one else answers it! They just let it ring. Most of the time I can handle the calls. I do not know everything yet, I but am self-sufficient. And if I do not know, I do ask...that is how I can learn! I come from a place where you offer assistance/help ASAP...not wait around for someone else to deal with it. I'm used to jumping on things & not waiting around. But obviously it's a problem for this particular person.

What should I do? I do not want to cause problems, nor do I want to appear guilty. I want a good, trusting work relationship w/ people. But no one confronts me. If I did make a mistake, I do not know how. I just do not like being accused of things in a passive-aggressive way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Money & Work

• Have you thought of discussing your concerns with your boss?

If more than one person has their hands in a til,, the blame is on everyone. The only way they can prove it was you is by camera or Debit / credit cards. Money handling can't be Proven otherwise.

Too many chickens gabbing are making you paranoid, which I completely understand. Talk to the store manager.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Yes, talk to the manager or owner about your concerns. Someone is probably stealing, and you want the appropriate person to be identified.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Do what you are told. Don't answer the phone and stay on one register.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• How much short are the registers? I would say that it is likely you are being set up. I would speak to the manager, and come up with a plan for say 3 girls to help clients, and 2 people to work registers, one assigned to each.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I can see why they might think it was you, if the registers just started coming up short just as you started working there - which means that maybe someone else saw that too. Sounds to me like maybe someone took advantage of the fact that a finger could point at you to swipe some money. I would go to the top person (manager, owner, whoever is highest) and talk to them about what you see/hear. Explain that you want to learn, want to do your job, but these are the things you're noticing and they make it very difficult to do your job and learn. And of course, you also want to make sure that you don't get blamed for something you didn't do.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• stop stealing simple as that
    Anonymous