Do you honeslty believe formula is a good option for developing countries?

In response to a Selma Hayek question a mom posted that these women would be "happy for formula". That is not the case, in fact unicef is trying to get companies like Nestle to STOP giving formula to poorer countries because babies are not getting the nourishment they need. Nor are they thriving. Breast milk is the perfect nutrition for babies in developing countries, in fact, it's what helps them survive into toddler/preschool age. Even if the mother doesn't have an adequate food source she is able to provide the best for her child. If she can't someone else who nurses can, wet nurses are very common even in underdeveloped countries. There is a set of videos called "formula for disaster" by unicef on youtube. 5 of them total, which show the damage formula companies are doing, in countries like the Philippines. What Selma Hayek did was wonderful, it wouldn't have been wonderful had she brought a can of formula for the child.

celticreverie

Asked by celticreverie at 10:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Heck no! I don't think formula is a good option for DEVELOPED countries, let alone developing! They are doing the right thing over there, nursing their babies and each others babies. America needs to stop trying to make a buck off of them!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I am not a BF mom. I pumped for a while with 2 of mine but one I did not. I DO NOT believe it's the begin all and end all of child nutrition. HOWVER, formula in these countries is an AFUL idea because many of these people can't get to a clean water supply. How are they supposed to mix the formula? Would they ONY get ready mixed? That's REALLY expensive. I think BF in these places is DEFINENTLY the safest option!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Giving formula is absolutley not a good thing for these countries. What happens is people will water down the formula to make it last longer and that will cause severe malnutrition which will lead to very serious problems and possibly death. I am not aware of what Selma Hayek did, but I am curious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Well I will not bash formula here in the states. I used formula when I was no longer able to breastfeed, and I understand that BFing doesn't work for some women.

As for underdeveloped countries, they don't even have a clean supply of water with which to mix formula. OF COURSE it is a bad idea! They are getting formula mixed with contaminated water, in dirty bottles. Fabulous! What they really need in underdeveloped countries is education!

Breastfeeding is always best, but even more so in underdeveloped countries.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't think that that formula is a good option for developing countries. If I could not breastfeed I would not want another mothers breast milk for my child, so for our country I think it's an option to have formula. I think it's best that other countries continue to breastfeed. Formula cost a lot of money. I know, I have bought plenty with my own cash. I also believe that if a mother who needs gov. assistance is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Absolutely, I am all for feeding a baby by any means necessary. Breastfeeding a baby from a malnourished mother is not a good idea either.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I just re read my answer...sorry for all the mis spelling. baby on the lap "helping"!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• not breastfeeding but is able she should not be allowed to buy formula with food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No, not unless there is no other option. But if there are wet nurses available then why not use that option instead of formula? I think formula should still be an option, but not to the extent it is used now. Only in severe cases where there is absolutely no other choice for food for the baby (and I think that would be very rare if you were to seriously use all other resources, or unless there is some sort of breast milk intolerance issue).

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I think it's okay to give formula to undeveloped countries. There are a lot of mothers in these countries who do not have that right nutrients for their bodies. I think the children should have the best. If formula is the only other option, then sure I agree 100%. I formula feed my daughter because I was not able to breastfeed. I am thankful for the formula alternative. Breast milk is better, but formula is the second best.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2009