Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I'm 17 and pregnant and MY MOM REFUSES TO HELP OUT WITH ANYTHING ME OR MY BABY NEEDS.Am I able to apply or food stamps without her income and just use my income?

Answer Question

Asked by lookinforhelp at 10:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • In the state of SC, you are emancipated once you became pregnant. That being said, you have to apply for all government assistance using your income. FS officials may want a letter from your mom stating that you are taking care of yourself in your home. Never the less, they are also going to enforce child support on your baby's father. You are young. Good luck and if you are in school, then, stay in school. . I strongly urge you to continue your education and get a degree in a field. Each state has different demands so yours may be different.

    Answer by blondie805 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • Call your local office. My teen daughter was considered emancipated (adult) and my income did not get counted when she lived with me. She got full benefits and day care once the child was born. Remember that your mom is human and upset over this. I know I was but I guided my daughter to where she could go to get help. You can learn independence from this. Just call around and see where you can get help. Salvation Army and other agencies will help. Get to the health dept for medical check ups and vitamins. Just keep asking questions wherever you go. Show mom you don't need her help. It would be nice if she would help but you can do this on your own. (You could tell her that part part if you want)

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • To get the answer to your question, DO NOT ASK HERE. The rules are different for every state and you may find you're getting incorrect information. This is not a good resource for this kind of info.

    Pick up the phone, call 2-1-1. That's a hotline for social services. They can tell you every last detail of what you need to do in your state.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • keep your legs shut! You should have thought about this earlier! Adoption is best for that baby! Especially because you dont even know how to get by on your own. I am with your mom! Good for her!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • Dont worry they will use your income

    Answer by KColeman90 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • If you are still living with your mom then she is still helping you out a ton! I would have kicked your butt out i agree keep your legs shut!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • I agree with some others, you are responsible for you baby, not your mother or anyone else. If you cannot handle being preg and having a child do not have sex! Or get on bc you can get it free from the health dept. since you are already preg I'd suggest looking into a job, a place of your own, and yes food stamps etc. talk to a social worker for help. Where's the dad? Also I'd consider adoption if you cannot care for your child 100% the way they need. It's hard but it will be a good thing for your baby if you cannot provide all the care needed. Plus some adoptions are open to where u can visit and be around your child. You have some serious decisions I'd suggest mapping them out

    Answer by Babicakes24 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • do you have any idea how much a baby costs? Formula is 40.00 ish every two weeks. Diapers are 40.00 about every two weeks. plus a carseat, bed, clothes etc. you have no idea! Give that baby to someone that has tried to have a baby and cant. someone that can afford it because i dont think you have ANY idea how expensive it is!! I think your mom is right. Im guessing she is trying to show you how screwed you may be and is trying to get you to see the bigger picture! That baby deserves more!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • Ok well I do have a job....Key words..... my income.....and I understand that I made an adult decisions I'm not looking for handouts I it's the fact that i still need her information to apply for it and I know how much a baby cost trust me I have bought everything and you all make it sound as if i'm ungrateful which so not true.THANK U ALL FOR THE DELIGHTFUL COMMENTS

    Comment by lookinforhelp (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

  • If you still live in the same house as your mother you would need to report her income as well. There is adoption if you decide it would be to much to keep the child. Also when applying for benefits as a single mom, you would need to report who the father is or they can deny your benefits, as he would be required by the state to support a child that he helped to create. Welcome to real world.

    Answer by steveshouse at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.