Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I'm 17 and pregnant and MY MOM REFUSES TO HELP OUT WITH ANYTHING ME OR MY BABY NEEDS.Am I able to apply or food stamps without her income and just use my income?

Answer Question

Asked by lookinforhelp at 10:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • Well at the end of the day you're responsible for the baby not your mother. Where is the father? Ae you even working? What are you doing to help yourself besides looking for a handout? Like pp said call 211 but at the end of the day you should be pretty happy you have a roof over your head.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 10:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • If you live with her, her income is counted. I suspect what she is trying to do is get you to see that having a baby is a big responsibility. Call your social services office and make an appointment to visit with them. They will likely provide you with information on what services are available.

    Where is the baby's father? He will need to pay child support

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • also she shouldnt have to help this is YOUR baby not hers

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • your income
    I personally think adoption is a great option since you have no help. Why make that baby suffer because you couldnt use proper BC?

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • Welcome to adulthood. Call 211. There are some programs which as a teen mother classifies you as an adult. Where is the baby's father? His parents? Call Child Support Enforcement in your state, 211 should beable to give you the number and file for support so the baby's father has to help support his child. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover545 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • If you live in her house you must also include her income when applying for food stamps.
    You made an adult decision to have unprotected sex and you have a baby. Legally that means she is no longer responsible for you and is not required to support you in any way. Youare lucky because many would find themselves on their own. Did you file for CS?
    It is your responsibility to support yourself and your baby as an adult.


    Answer by Dardenella at 10:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • rolling on floor  That is all


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • Congrats, you joined cm 5 minutes ago and immediately found answers.

    Answer by tnm786 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • To get the answer to your question, DO NOT ASK HERE. The rules are different for every state and you may find you're getting incorrect information. This is not a good resource for this kind of info.

    Pick up the phone, call 2-1-1. That's a hotline for social services. They can tell you every last detail of what you need to do in your state.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

  • keep your legs shut! You should have thought about this earlier! Adoption is best for that baby! Especially because you dont even know how to get by on your own. I am with your mom! Good for her!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN