Holiday Debate: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Which one do you use? Do you think its disrespectful towards others using the Merry Christmas? Or some people to uptight and get offend over dumb things?

I use happy Holidays only because that is my preference. I don't get offended if people say Merry Christmas to me.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Holidays

• i prefer:

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My FB newsfeed is filled with rants about this debate!

Earlier this week I started unsubscribing from anyone who posted something about the "war on christmas" or "reason for the season" etc. It's made life much more peaceful.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Merry giftmas
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I don't really use either. I'll offer a "same to you" when it's said. I don't really care what people say, only that they remove the stick from their ass if they feel the need to have a hissy about what's said to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I don't really say anything nor do I notice what people say to me. My SO says "Happy Christmas" and that throws people for a loop every now and again.

I'm not Christian and I am cognizant of the importance of this particular season long before Christians came along. That said, I honestly don't know any non theists who care one whit how someone greets them during the holidays.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My FB newsfeed is filled with rants about this debate! I am christian, but also open minded enough to recognize that not every one is, and others celebrate differently! If you are wishing me well, I do not care what you say! Stupidest thing to get mad over....
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 11:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My SO says "Happy Christmas" and that throws people for a loop every now and again.

DS just last night noticed that John Lennon sings Happy instead of Merry in War is Over and it freaked him out :)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Happy Holidays to strangers, Merry Christmas to those i know celebrate Christmas, Happy Hanukkah to those i know who celebrate Hanukkah, etc. to me part of the magic of this season is the number of different celebrations, so as long as its said to me in good spirit i dont care what they say, i'll repeat it back :)

ive only ever had a problem with this debate when i worked in customer service...some ppl are just asses regardless of what you say.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Happy Holidays usually.

Twenty years ago people didn't blink twice at being told that. The sentiment is essentially the same. I don't see the big deal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Either. Both. I have a Happy Holidays sign on my front door, then a Merry Christmas doodad in the foyer. Whatever. The sentiment is the same. If someone wishes me a happy holiday-I-don't-celebrate, I just appreciate it and respond in kind. They're being a kind human being, and that's what matters.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2012