Which monitor do you all recommend?

Okay, we have it narrowed down to 2 choices...
Sorry my copy and paste isnt working...so if you dont mind going to www.walmart.com/baby and search for monitors. The 2 choices are the 2nd (bebe angelcare movement and sound sensor w/ 1 receiver) and 3rd one (sony 900 mhz w/ 1 receiver) I originally decided on the sony one, but my husband found the other one last night and really likes it, we're both in between on which one to get. The bebe one has some kind of alarm that sounds if the baby stops moving/breathing..this is our first baby and we dont know much about this stuff yet so any advice/opinions for us would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • Hey! I'm a first time mom to now a 4 month old. I use the Sony Baby Call Baby Monitor and it's awesome. You can hear EVERYTHING. The only con I have is my cell phone (t-mobile) interferes with it. Every time it rings or incoming text there is static, but I know someone it about to call me in advance, LOL. It really isn't an issue for me. My hubs cell doesn't interfere (diff carrier). If your baby is healthy there is really no reason to go with Angelcare. You'll be paranoid enough and checking on you LO constantly anyway. I say go with the Sony.
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 11:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• NONE! ... i had the big fancy one from safety first and used it for about a month.. i relied on it and then one night we lost power and I didnt hear my son.. so i thought all was well, but it wasnt well.. he was face first into his crib padding.. so i unplugged out monitor and put it back in the box. All the moms that i know... eventually unplugged.... why you ask.. well it heightens your senses to pick up when something just isnt right with baby. Plus.. babies need to figure out how to sleep on their own.. so if they fuss or make a noise and you wake up, you rush in, check, or even pick up baby, when in fact, they probably could have fallen back to sleep if left alone.. ( i know, cause i did this) i woke up every time he moved, rolled, what ever, no sleep for me, after the unplugging, i became more aware of him, and when he cries, i go to him, but if he fusses, he actually has learned to go back to sleep...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Once you get your monitor, if you have a huge house, go for it, if you have less than 4 bedrooms, you'll use it and then toss it aside. If your baby has a health issue, monitors are great, i just think that if your baby is healthy and fine, your better off saving your money.. but i bought mine, and like i said, used it for a month and got less sleep.. my son is now 7 months old, and i can hear him just fine down the hall. It's amazing what mom's can hear in a dead sleep. I had a friend say im a sound sleeper.. believe her, after she heard her baby cry in the middle of the night, it wasnt a problem getting up... good luck in which ever monitor you buy...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Go with the Angel Care but spend a little more and get the one with two hand helds. (This way if you forget to charge one, you have a backup). It is not on the same frequency as cordless phones so your phone won't effect it. Also, it provides great peace of mind! It monitors the slightest movement. If there is no movement (i.e. breathing) for 20 seconds an alarm sounds in baby's room (waking him up) and on the hand held. You can even watch the ticking motion (indicating movement) on your handheld. It also shows you the temperature in the baby's room which is really nice. You might have to turn the motion sensor feature off around 6 mo. or so when baby starts rolling. If baby gets to the very edge of the crib then the monitor doesn't pick it up and you get false alarms....but by then, you're over the worst part of the SIDS risk anyway. Congrats!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009