• In the Spotlight:

How do I explain whats MAGIC to a 2 yr old

We were watching Mickey Mouse clubhouse, when Mickey says ' you get to say the magic words - Meeska Mooska Mickey Mouse', my daughter asked me ' Whats MAGIC mommy?'
Can you suggest some easy way to explain a 2 yr, 1 month old what Magic is?

SweKrish

Asked by SweKrish at 10:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow thats a good question. hmmmmm tell her to call mickey and ask him and if he answers thats magic. lol just joking i have to think on this one
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Magic is a kind of make believe, of pretend. You can take a pot with a lid on it and drop a soft item into the pot- say a rolled up napkin- and cover the pot. Actually you palm the napkin. Then you say the play words, the magic words, and lift up the lid and by golly the napkin has mysteriously vanished! Show her that it is a game. This is the kind of magic, anyway, that Mickey is referring to, just something fun. I don't know if a child that age would get enough into make believe to understand that magic may be mysterious and unexplained events. If she believes in fairies and fairy godmothers, they are magical. or even the cartoons that she watches have make-believe. They aren't real, but they are fun to watch and imagine- such as the princesses that girls that age enjoy, they are make believe.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009