Same question as yesturday didn't get much response!!

My S2B 3 y/o niece is my WORLD & my parents world. 1st niece, 1st grandchild & spoiled rotten!! I practically raised her for the 1st year. Well she is VERY JEALOUS she doesn't want anyone touching her papa nonnie aunt or mommy especially other babys or kids!! She even gets jealous when my BF hugs me in front of her!! So how is she gona feel when I have my baby?? I'm so scared shes gonna be so jealous & I don't want that to happen I mean she knows Aunt Ericka has a baby in her belly but I don't think she realizes its gonna come out & get attention! I don't want my baby to steal the spotlight from her & I really don't want her to not like the baby. I've even cried about it because my niece is MY WORLD!!! I love her like she is my own and I'm gonna feel bad..... How do I help her get through the jealousy & love the baby!!??

dixieQT

Asked by dixieQT at 10:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Involve her as much as you can! Maybe get her to pick out a toy, when it get's closer to the due date. for the baby? Not really a toy, but a lovey of some sort? Talk to her about the baby, let her know that you love her, and be honest. You aren't stealing spotlight, but she will need to share it and she will learn and will probably love the new baby. It may take time though you know?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• First of all, your attitude has to change. You can't feel bad or let on that you feel bad. Kids are super perceptive...if you feel like there is nothing for her to be jealous about then she might take your lead. Also, get her a baby doll with a blanket and bottle, etc. Keep it until the baby is born. Give it to her the first time you see her with your new baby. This gives her a baby to take care of so she can be just like you. Tell her you're going to need her help with the new baby and you're giving her the doll to practice on. Then, actually ask for her help when the baby is around. She can hand you diapers and wipes. She can bounce the bouncy seat (under your supervision). She can shake the bottle (if formula feeding) etc. etc. etc. Then make sure you get some one on one time when the baby is asleep. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• LoL, i know how you feel with that love of your niece... My niece is like my daughter ha. I never knew i could have so much love for someone... she is MY WORLD.... My niece is one and gets jealous as well... my sister was touching my belly to feel my baby girl move and my niece slapped her hand lol, & than slapped my belly.... & everytime my boyfriend is over at my sisters with me... if im holding my niece & he tries to hug me or kiss me, she swats at his face...EVERYTIME lol... All you can do is try to involve her & balance out your attention with your newborn and your niece... Let her interact with the baby.... im sure everything will work out. Good Luck!
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i would tell her that is the two of yours this way she feels included i have a 5yr old mommy's girl it was just me and her for over 3yrs and when i found out i was pregnant again we told her that she was going to have a baby and needed to be a big help for me and she just loves the idea of helping a baby and being there for the baby
    Anonymous