Crazy incident with a bell ringer and friend.

It was late one night and I was picking up a prescription with a friend. I noticed those fancy chocolates with the cute box and the gold wrappers and I just had to have one. I did not bother bagging the package up, it was so small. I dropped my spare change in the kettle as we left and the bell ringer asked if those choocolates were any good. He had thought about buying some but hadn't tried them yet. I told him they are wonderful ad asked if he would like one ad he gladly accepted. I just left saying Merry Christmas.
My friend told me you are not supposed to do that. I have bought coffe or chocolate for bell ringers on occassion and never thought about it.

Is this against some rule? I just thought I was being nice.

If you think I should not have done this can you explain why?
My friend just said it was against the rules. I am so naughty sometimes.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 12:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Holidays

• I have volunteered as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army and NO it isn't against the "rules".

The only policies in place are that bell ringers are to:

-- Never touch the money that is being donated. The donations must be placed into the bank by the donor and never pass through the hands of the volunteer.
    -- Never accept any form of tip or monetary reward for our efforts.
    -- Maintain a pleasant and courteous attitude as volunteers are the face of the Salvation Army
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I don't see anything wrong with it... rules or not, you were just being nice.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Seems to me if there was a real rule about it, the responsibility is on the bell ringer to say, not every random person to know better than to offer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• You're a real rebel Dard lol.

I think it's fine. I have given coffee or hot cocoa but I don't think you did anything wrong.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• What rules ? Whose rules? Salvation Army? Salvation Army SUCKS! I have worked in 4 states, over 25 years in social service administration and not ONE PERSON ever referred to salvation army has ever been helped. I would not give them one dime. They are the worst social service agency in America. Total rip off.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Do you mean the Salvation Army people? I think they are volunteers. I think that was really nice of you to do. Why would there be a rule against you being nice to the guy??

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• There are probably rules against receiving tips and gifts, but I don't see how this would apply to food.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• depends on their company rules. I see nothing wrong with it. My brother is a bell ringer I could ask him.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I think it was super nice, I have never heard you can't give the bell ringers a treat, just not supposed to give them money, I think the friend is a bit uptight!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I don't think there is any sort of rule against that. Sounds like you were being nice. Nothing wrong with that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2012