I can't catch this cat! Another person decided to dump an animal, and need help!

We live at the end of a very long road, it isn't a farm, but we have a bit of land. So many times people dump any unwanted animals out here, it makes me mad, and sad! I saw the car drive down the road, and it is a pregnant momma cat. We don't have animal control, but I want to catch her so that I can help, any ideas?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 3:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Pets

• Do you want to catch her and bring her inside or catch her and take her to the humane society or just to help her survive?
    You might try one of the animal traps (humane. You should be able to rent one. disguise it as best you can in a place where she might go looking for food and bait it with a can of moist cat food, the smellier the better. She goes in and the door shuts so she can not get back ot.

If you just want to help her survive you might try using the same technique minus the trap in a garage left slightly open give her old blankets that have your smell.
    On the other hand if she was living with a family and just dumped she should be used to humans and it shouldn't take too long. It is good of you to want to help her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I'm dealing with something similar. You can use a live trap. Here, animal control will rent you a trap and take the cat once it's caught. We're in Las Vegas where foreclosures are a huge problem, and people often just let their animals go. Lately there are two cats running around our neighborhood, and I believe they used to be someone's pets. It's getting cold here and I feel sorry for them. I also don't want them on my property (my son is super allergic, and they have been crapping in my neighbor's yard). We have a live trap that we put out last night. I am hoping I can catch them and get them picked up and cared for.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Allow me to promote our business, Tomahawk Live Trap.

:)

My father in law owns this business and my mother in law, husband and I work for him. We manufacture all the products right here in WI. This business was started in 1925 by my husbands great great uncle. (I think it's 2 greats). Anyway, we manufacture and sell live traps and they work GREAT.

A lot of people buy our cat traps for this very purpose.

http://www.livetrap.com/

Check it out!

Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Just leave a little food out each night for the cat. The cat will find it and come to trust you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• We have one cat, and I take allergy shots to deal with her! I called our local animal shelter and of course they are full. I set a live trap yesterday, and all I caught was a racoon! I will reset the trap again, but we have so many squirrels, opossums, racoons, they are most likely to get there first, she has been coming to the sun porch acting like she wants in, but am reluctant to allow that, because I don't know if she is sick, and that I will then be able to catch her inside! Our one cat had 11 babies last year, and I managed to rehome them all, but can't afford to take this one and who knows how many kittens at the moment. I just don't want her to give birth outside, for sure our varmits will find her and the kittens!
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2012