When should toddlers stop using the pacifier? I'm dreading this!

gummylump

Asked by gummylump at 10:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is exactly how I felt. I was the one dreading it..
    My daughter loved her pacificer, she had them until she was 3. I was so afraid that I would never get any sleep and she would never go to bed.
    Well I could not have been any more wrong.
    When I finally....I say I...finally took them away..she went into bed.,.we talked big girls don't have passies...she feel asleep and it was like nothing changed. She asked for them a couple times, but she knew that big girls do not have passie..
    I was the one with the real problem, not my baby girl..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• The sooner the better IMO. My DD is 2 and we just got her to only have it at naps and bed time. Working on getting rid of them all together. I think it would have been easier when she was a year but I don't know for sure :) Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• oh my yea asap. i took my daughters away when she was just months old they gave it to her in the hospital without my knowledge or permission
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 29 months now and still is sucking the pacifier ! I think I would die without it! I have a 14 month old also, who doesn't take a pacifier so I am totally dreading getting rid of it. But I think that they will get rid of it on their own when they are ready. I wouldn't try taking it away if she makes a big deal about it. Really whats the big deal any way ? You would rather her suck a pacifier than suck her thumb or scream all day. Don't stress it! : )
    TiffysBabies

Answer by TiffysBabies at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son never had one, my dd wasnt big on it, she was done about 4-6 mos old. My niece is almost 2 and it and her thumb are damaging the roof of her mouth. The dr told my sil that if she doesnt stop her now, she will have permanent damage.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 11:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I feel ya ...my daughter is 19 months and only uses it for nap and bedtime but I can't imagine taking it away yet ....I don't see the purpose ...it's not hurting her. I think i'll wait until she is 2-2 1/2 and that she understands that i'm taking it away and that she is a big girl.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yea, my two year old is addicted to it day and night! She spits it out when she falls asleep though. But the entire day she only goes 1-2 hrs. without it, then "notices" something is missing. Argh! I'm dreading the day as well. Maybe you and your SO will have better luck next time. Sucking on the pacifier (esp. if they do it all day), is hard to quit. You can limit use by sticking with bedtime and naps. NOWHERE ELSE-not even outside or in other parts of the house. Then slowly, you can try getting her to go without it for naps, then move to bedtime. I'm too chicken to do this, I'll just do it cold turkey and throw them out. Hopefully Grandma & Gramps won't buy more. (They've said this before when we lost all the passies, but then they went to the pharmacy and got more). If anything set a date on the calender with a cute sticker that he/she picks out, and tell them that's when they become "big girls/boys" and no more pacifiers!
    CoolMommy86

Answer by CoolMommy86 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i say just take away
    i took my away from my daughter at 9 month
    the doctor told me the more they use pacifier it not good for the teeth..

so i did and just took it away for good
    but i did this way
    i only give to her at her nap time and when are out i put one in my bag and if she need i give to her
    and if she doesn't need i don give to her

mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009