You child is late to school - would you be upset if...

Recently, I took a new position at work so I work weekend now, etc.
So, there are doys durning the week that I take the kids to school and come back home.
I noticed the neighbor always leaving, while I'm on my back home.
So, I asked my daughter, who is the same age, if Amber is ever late for school! She say yes, all the time and she's had dentition for it.
I asked does she not get up in the morning? My dd replies, no she's awake, i text her sometime in the mornings.
So, i just ramdomly said - she could ride with us if she wanted. And my daughter replies, ya, amber said she'd thought about that.
But now, i'm worried, that this will upset her mom. They live right across the street and i take my kids to school every morning...

So, if you were amber's mom, would this upset you?

She has two other kids younger one in school and a really young one not in school.

I feel bad, how embarassing to be late to school everyday...

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think I would only be upset if I felt ashamed, embarrassed or judged. That is something you can't exactly predict! I know I might personally feel lousy about the "need" for that kind of help/support if approached with that offer, but I wouldn't project that (by getting angry at or being offended by the person.) I would own my feelings. But of course, I am not Amber's mom! I also probably would feel appreciative, and relieved (if it were really a chronic struggle for me.)

You can't predict, but I think if you are honest & direct, and really feel it (within yourself) as a matter of neighborliness (not that the mom is pathetic or that you would be saving Amber from humiliation that is the mom's fault), then I'd say you could just sincerely make the offer. Something like, "Look, I realized that we both are doing the same commute every day. Would it be a help to you at all if I gave Amber a ride when I take my kids?"
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I don;t think I would have asked te child first, I would have aproached the mother before the child had any idea I was considering it.
    I would be upset over that but not over you offering to take my child to school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My daughter has a friend like that. I offered it was not accepted.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I think you could offer but dont mention the late all the time. My little one is late sometimes because of medical issues for me. The school is aware that my medications make it hard for me to get going in the am and her mother works until 8 and isnt home until 8:30 sometimes and it takes 15 minutes to go 4 streets over due to lights and bus stops.

We dont get detention though, she is only 5 minutes late at the most but again you dont know the story so tread carefully.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• i think it would be great if you did. The mother may work a late job and have a hard time getting up
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I approached my neighbor a few weeks ago when I noticed her dd not having enough time to eat breakfast at school. She hugged my neck and thanked me over and over. So, I'd say go to the mom and offer. All she can do is say no.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• so there are issues if that is the case, maybe the mom is exhausted and just cant get them all ready fast enough or the girl fights her tooth and nail making them late. It could be a multitude of things.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Our girls live across the street from each other but never go to each others homes. They did years ago when younger and my daughter says they talk at school. In other words, I don't know the other mom very well. They are sort of a nucense in the neighberhood so to say. And I think, the mom is embarassed to talk to me from past issues. (Between her husband and herself) example: her kids running over to my house becasue mom & dad were fighting and police was called by the grandma. I don't know the entire story. I just kept the kids at my house until the grandma came to get them. So....
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Well, i would say your at my house by ???? Time or you go with your mom. It's not like she wouldn't have a way to school, just be late if she is not ready on time.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I won't talk about it anymore, if the girls talk and she wants a ride to school the offer will still be good.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2012