Would signing a medical release for my son's school be a bad idea?

my instinct says yes
My son has severe iron deficiency and is going in January 4th to have a gastric endoscopy and possibly a colonoscopy to see if he has a gastric or intestinal bleed
i've disclosed all the school needs to know as far as his health while he's in school
The school nurse called me and she wants us to sign a medical release so they can talk to his doctors. I told her that I've told them all they need to know.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Kids' Health

• This drive me crazy, as well. What happened to privicy. All they need is release saying they can transport and / or concent to medical treatment in your absents, in an emergancy. That is all...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Is there anything that could harm him (that they don't already know?) I assume you have signed the form that says if he needs emergency medical care they should be able to get it for him? I would say they want more information about something that is really none of the school's business. Unless he has some form of contagious illness. I say you have gone far enough.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• No- as long as you are keeping them in the loop on a "need to know" basis, then they should not get free reign over his chart. That's too much personal information.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• NO.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Unless this is something that they will have to deal with at the school, such as dispense medication or other treatments, I don't see any reason for them to have access to his doctors. It is obviously not a communicable disease so why the push for more information?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• It's like my daughter needing an antibotic given three times a day, all the school needs to know is the doctor released her to attend school, not contatagious and what side to giver her a lunch. No need to know, why or what the medication is for...
    Sorry, on my phone and cannot type...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I would not, but thats just me.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• As stated above ^^

If he is going to be out of school they will only need conformation of the medical need for him to be out of school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I am more clear now, my son has aspergers, a mild case, but yes they are in the loop as much as they need to be.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• All she needs is a note from the doctor when he comes back to school... a note saying that he is ok to be back at school. I would NOT sign a blanket release for her to get any information. You can relay any information she needs.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2012