Cell phone time

Do you regulate the amount of time your teen is on their cell phone?
It seems like my 13 yr old daughter is on her phone texting non-stop.
I do take the kids phones at night - so no phone the their rooms after bedtime.

If so how? When and how much is too much?

My son has aphone as well but he's not on it constently... Age 12

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I would take away her cell phone after school when its homework time and then again during dinner time to help teach her the responsibilities of knowing when its ok and not ok. For instance if you are having a family movie night at home, she needs to understand that it would be disrespectful to be texting and not taking part in a family plan. For sure take her phone at night time so that she isnt up texting all night. Hope this helps
    bshayd

Answer by bshayd at 12:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• nope my kids used my cell until they could pay their own cell bill and that was after they got jobs which was not until they were atleast 16
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• ^^Same with me luvmygrandbaby- my boys had to be able to pay for their phones & actually didn't get them until they graduated from HS. My middle son has a job at age 16 & could've afforded it, but it's amazing what you will find necessary or not, if the parents won't be footing the bill. :p For graduation, I bought them the prepaid phones, but had to take them back when their dad added them onto his plan as his graduation gift to them. They still pay for them, as well as car insurance. OP: I think taking them away at night is a great idea. If you are concerned about their texting too much, you may want to arrange for you to be able to read them.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• My 11 and 12 yo's are getting phones for Christmas but I watch how much time they spend on their iPod touches. Not a hard fast limit, but they obviously aren't allowed to use it during meals or while doing homework. Other than that, no limit but although my 11 dd texts a lot with her friends, I don't think it's too much.

Answer by missanc at 5:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Even if you have unlimitted minutes I would set a time that they can use the cell phones and otherwise not. I personally feel that it is imprtant to have personal interaction that you can not get through texting. I certainly would not allow it through homework time unless they came to me and said they need to ask XYZ for some help and then it would be in front of me to be sure the conversation doesn't go elsewhere lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Well, we do have rules like not at the dinner table, etc... But any free time it seems constant...
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• We took the phone and made it a no at night..I kid you not, they would have been on there all night if we let them
    There is also the computer, phone and ipod that we went to airport utility - ohhh!!! The things that you can do with your kids at night to keep them off line. During the day off all week long! LOVE it! They get it only on the weekend and wow! The grades are improving because of it - even actually can hold conversations, eat dinner etc. together as a family when your child is FOCUSED!
    Try Airport utlity you will be sooo glad you did!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2012