I am struggling with my 8 year old daughter and her behavior toward my authority or my boyfriends. She screams and throws tantrums like a 2 year old. She does this around her friends and my friends too.

I need to teach her some effective problem solving skills when she hears the work no. Especially if it is from my boyfriend. Help

Andrea J.

Asked by Andrea J. at 8:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How long has this boyfriend been in your lives?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Do you mean BOYFRIENDS or BOYFRIEND'S. There's a big difference there.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• how long has your boyfriend been in the picture? if this is a recent thing maybe she sees him as the reason her life has changed & she feels like she's getting less time with you. maybe she has trouble accepting a stranger as having authority over her. do you listen to her? do you ever give her a chance to explain her side?

and the big one...why is your boyfriend telling her no?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• There is a boyfriend or boyfriends? Why would your boyfriend have authority over your daughter? Why has your boyfriend e en met your daughter? Tantrums with a male not a child's father in the house is a red flag indicator.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Whats the situation with you and your boyfriend singular, I am guessing...........do you live together? Has he been around your daughter most of her life or is he a new boyfriend? If he is new maybe she is having adjustment issues, you need to sit down and discuss with your daughter what her feelings are, maybe she is feeling pushed to the side, if he has been a long term boyfriend maybe she hasnt bonded with him. Is her Father in her life? Maybe you need to consider that you should be the main authority figure, not the boyfriend, maybe thats where the problem lies. You wont know if you dont openly discuss this with her and LISTEN to her, be understanding, she still needs to come first, if she is acting out like that there is usually always underlying issues.............or has she always acted out? Sorry for all the questions but its a bit vague.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2012