Babies and Colds

My daughter is 3 months and a week now and I'm pretty sure that she has a cold. Her nose is all stuffed up and I've been sucking the snot out of it every couple of hours, but it never seems like I can get it all out. She always seems to be stuffed up and when she breathes it feels like there's a little rattle in her chest. I'm not sure if its even a cold, she doesn't act like she feels sick, but I'm worried that she is because a woman we live with just got over a cold and apparently gave it to me and my husband at some point. Is there anything I can do for her if this really is a cold?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There isn't much you can do for a cold. If there is a fever, you can treat it with tylenol but if it isn't a high fever and she isn't uncomfortable, you're better off just letting it run its course. A fever is her body's way of fighting off the virus. You can get some Johnson and Johnson Vapor Bath. It is a aromatic soap you put in the tub with them and helps open up their nasal passages. You can also put a few drops of breast milk in their nostrils and then suction it out (it'll help break it up). However, you might want to take her to the doctor because sometimes an ear infection will present with a runny nose...and sometimes a cold will cause an ear infection. Also, sleeping on an incline will help keep her nose clear and make for easier breathing and drainage. (A swing or a bouncer are good options at this age or put a pillow UNDER one side of her crib mattress).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have some of that Vapor Bath stuff, so I'll give her a bath in that shortly. I never thought of putting a pillow under the mattress, but she did spend the night in her swing last night because she wouldn't sleep anywhere else. The last time I checked her temperature it was 100.4. Should I be giving her Tylenol for that?
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2009