More daycare concerns

a little background, i recently moved and was debating about which daycare was the best place to send my daughter and I picked the one that provied the food. I was ok with even thought I been having my doubts about things but everything was fine until my dd told me that one of the teachers not even her regular teachers toldher not to bring in any more yogurt. I asked and they said it was fne. I am going to talk to the director tomorrow about this. She should not be told and if they don't want her to have it it's not up to them. I should be able to send in any food I want even if they provide the food. It's about my child eating and that is most important thing nothing else. ok vent over.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 8:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah, she shoud be able to take her own yogurt. I worked in child care for several years... The concern is probably that the other kids will feel left out that they don't have what she is eating. They just want to be fair to all the kids, I guess. Don't sweat it.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I work at a daycare. It is a wonderful place, but she provides the food. She would hate if kids brought their own food. It would cause a lot of problems. The other kids would want some too. I would say, don't send it in unless you send for everyone.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I work at a child care center and we do not allow any outside food with out a doctors note of necessity. The building is too small and there are too many allergies. Plus it causes contention amongst the kids if some is getting something 'better'.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I agree with But_Mommie. It causes problems between the kids because they see her getting something "special." If you want the one that provides the food, then let them provide the food. If you want to be able to dictate her meals at daycare, or send in certain foods for her, then choose one that has you provide the food.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• the daycare our LO was in also provided the food. We were discouraged for the reason of the other kids wanting it as well. If you want her to have the yogurt then give it to her before or after school. It does not matter that you are paying them to do a job, what matters in fairness all around. Some daycares do not have the extra space to put cold things etc. Our daycare was not allowed to house foods fro outside the school with the others so if 10 kids brought food then where would it go?

Sorry but daycares can dictate what they allow or dont allow now, as far as telling your child NO, they should have told you.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• If the day care is providing food, they may be getting reimbursed from the USDA food program. If that is the case, NO outside foods are allowed unless there is documented allergies, religious restrictions or medical restrictions. Sorry, but if this is the case there is nothing you can do other than finding a different day care that doesn't provide food.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I talked to the director. it's not more so about me bringing the outside food. I understand not to bring it any more but tell me the parent not the 3 yr old child that will think she did something wrong. she doesn't understand that. it's all good. I am going to give her the drinking yogurt in the car or before we go to school in the morning. she just takes a very long time for her to eat. but all is ok. no more outside food for this daycare. Still not sure if I am changing or not.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2012