SOCIAL SKILLS..

i use to have alot of friends. people enjoyed hanging with me and talking to me. I enjoyed them as well. once i ot wity boyfriend and had my daughter stop hanging and even talking to them. now i have absolutley NO FRIENDS ALL. JUST MY SO. i ue to make friends so easy now i don't. can you lose social skills after being friendless for so long???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2012 in Relationships

• sure

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• yes and this can turn around for you. having good friends requires being a good friend too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Yup- you can also lose social skills by not using them (use it or lose it) if you are not getting out there and interacting with people you forget how to interact with people
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I voluntarily gave mine back... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I think you can- I had the same problem, once I had kids it seemed I had NO friends then we moved to a new state on top of that so... I feel like now I'm just weird around people and I always wonder if I came off as needy or strange or too chatty or rambling...ugh
    I used to have a LOT of friends too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I dont know many people where I live now. I was raised in Sydney Australia, then moved to the states for 8 years then moved back to Australia but to another state, my parents and sister are here but thats about it, so all my friends are either in Sydney or in the US, I find it much harder to met people that I actually connect with here, some of it has to do with me not working etc......
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• It's hard for everyone, not just you. It gets easier if you make at least one friend because friends multiply from the friends you have. The social circles overlap and open up more easily. Plus, you don't seem that desperate and actually make GOOD friends not just attracting fake/crazy friends. I did an experiment once when I moved to a new area and always talked about my past friends as if I was still close to them and doing stuff with them. That seemed to attract new friends because they wanted to be a part of someone who was always doing stuff and was interesting. Invite people over/out, don't wait for them to invite you. Ask people, "What's a good place for karaoke/good sushi/comedy, etc?" to open the conversation and then when they propose a place, ask them if they wouldn't mind going with you there sometime soon. Another good tip is to joke with random people. Once people are relaxed, they'll want to know you more.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• I was the first of my friends to get pregnant. The rest of my friends didn't start having kids until 3 or 4 years later, and they couldn't understand why I couldn't go to the bar or to a concert, or to Atlantic City on an hour's notice. I made friends with neighbors who had kids the same age as mine. Now that my son is going to be 18, and some of my friends have kids who are 6 and 7 years old, they realize that it's not that we aren't friends anymore, but we are at different phases of life. They'll come back around, and if not, they weren't your friends to begin with.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• laughing

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2012