Co sleeping and regression...

My DD coslept with me when she was a baby because her dad was in Afghanistan when I had her. I weaned her at about a year old but right after my husband came home he wanted her in the bed sometimes and then we moved and she started sleeping with us permanently again. So now we have a three year old who we are just not weaning again. It has only been about a week and she has slept all night in her bed 5 times and our bed once and then I slept in her bed once. My question is I am pregnant and due in May do you think if we get her sleeping in her bed most nights that she will regress to our bed every night again when the baby comes? We are planning on them sharing a room, but for the first couple of months the baby will be in a bassinet in our room. We don't want to start the second one out in our bed in hopes of avoiding this situation again. Thanks!

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It was a mistake in the first place. Now you're about to have a whole family in one bed. That should be fun.
    Anonymous

• She will not regress if you do not allow her to. Simply do not allow her back in your bed.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Anon is a jerk.

It was not a mistake, if YOU don't think it is. All, and I mean all of my babies were co-sleepers.

They are now 10,9,7 and 3. None of them have "regressed". DD climbed in bed with us maybe 3-4 times this year, if that. She'll do it when she's sick or when she wakes up and wants someone to stop being lazy and wake up with her.

You are going to find sooo much info on why co-sleeping is good and why it's bad and why breast feeding is good, and why it's bad and getting your kids immunized is bad and why it is good.

Just STOP! Do not under any circumstances let anyone tell you what works best for your family.

Do what you need to.

If your worried about her climbing into bed, then when she does it, immediately take her back to her bed. Do not let her lay there, she'll think it's okay.

Good luck mama.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My oldest 3yrs old didnt co sleep until she was a year almost but it was once in a while and in the early morning. After we move we put her crib in our room for some reason i cant remember. I got preggo again and she started sleeping in our bed and she slept there a few times a wk fron there on, now about my 6mo mark i started weaning her to sleep on her own bed because it was too uncomfortable for me at night with my big belly. I did stuggle but after like a month and a half i did it and she slept on her bed then like a month after my second was born i swithched to her own room now when my new baby came she coslept with me all her 1st yr and then moved her to her own bed and didnt strughle with her really and a few months later switch her to her ssiters room yeah some night they both end up on my bed at night but its not too often try laying her in her bed and putting enigma on pandora works for my kids helps them fallasleep
    NEMOMMY12

Answer by NEMOMMY12 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I think it's natural that your child wants to sleep in the same bed with you regardless of her having co-slept with you in the past; it is comforting. Perhaps DD had a bad dream & it comforts her to stay close to you? Both my kids were co-sleepers when they were babies and they are no worse for it. For the most part, they sleep in their own beds, but when they have had a bad dream or if they're not feeling well, it comforts them to be near us. I found that one of the reasons for my DD to sleep with us is that she liked my buckwheat pillow, so I bought her one. (DH will carry the sleeping kiddo back to his/her own bed, though.) We don't mind that they have slept with us as it's not all the time. If your DD is beginning to do this too often for your liking, I'd ask her if anything is wrong. If not, I agree with 4xsthetrouble: just bring her back to her own bed--& give her a cuddly stuffed animal.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2012