Sports through the school

This morning my alarm didn't go off - no clue, as to why - I forgot to set it whatever reason.
Anyhow, my 7th grade son was late to practice. So, he'll have to run extra laps and will not get playing time in the game on Thursday.
I understand kids and parents could make up reason for missing practice and/or being late all the time.
It just upsets me that my son is punished for something that happens to everyone.
I hate that these coaches think, they're are perfect and can punish a child for this sort of thing...
What if I had been ill, vomiting, etc this morning - I'm a single Mom, no one else is here to take him to practice - so he'd be punished for my illness...???

Even in my daughter college, she can miss three days of running per smester for whatever reason.

I refuse to speed to school, i cannot afford a speeding ticket because of these dumb rules. And what am I teaching my son, when he's 16 and running late?

No one is perfect and it upsets me that these coaches think my son and myself have to be...

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2012 in General Parenting

• "School should be about learning, not baseball uniforms. "

I disagree ... I believe that the goal should be "a healthy mind in a healthy body". Education is not just about books.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Well you're teaching him to be on time, it's a commitment. What happens when you're late work? You get in trouble. You and he know the rules, my kids have been late guess what, they do extra drills as well.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yeah an early morning practice is tough. My DD does lots of sports and I wouldn't like it if she had that schedule. However, if missing practice means DS gets penalized I would set my alarm AND have him set an alarm as well. It will give him good experience getting the alarm set and getting up and give you some piece of mind. He is old enough to be at least a back up for you. You are right, nobody is perfect. And that's ok. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• What don't you understand, there are rules in place for a reason. Get a grip it's not killing him to run a few extra laps or sit out a game. They aren't singling him out, it goes for all players. Smh.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I have to agree with funlovinlady. One of the things that we have to teach kids is accountability. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair, but if it goes for all of the kids, then it's fair. It would be unfair if it singled one child out. When you get out into the real world, it's a necessity to be accountable. People who don't get to work on time can be fired. People who park their car illegally can have their car towed...even if they were only there for a few minutes, or didn't feel good.

The bottom line is we all have responsibilities, that affect other people, and there are consequences for not following through, it's a good lesson to learn, and your son is old enough now to have his own alarm clock, and make sure that both of you are up and ready to go to an activity that he wants to participate in. Sports programs are a choice, you're generally not made to participate, and they are a good opportunity to learn discipline.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Shouldn't school be about academics and not sports? The amount of money we put into sports instead of actual useful things is astounding.

Don't like it? Do the right thing and pull him out.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yeah kids need sleep more than they need to be at practice that early every morning.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• So, because you're a single mom they should make special exceptions for you? It doesn't work that way. If they make an exception for you, then then have to do it for every other child on the team, then ALL the kids will be showing up late with some cockamamie excuse. Team sports are just that: TEAMS. Each player on the team needs to know they can count on and rely on all the other members. If everyone is constantly showing up late, or not at all, there is no trust there.

7th grade is more than old enough to have his own alarm to wake him up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Butttt what time are the kids going to bed if they know they have to be up early? Surely moms not letting them crash at 11 at night and getting up that early.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• LOL you called it!
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2012