College prep in Jr. High

Do you do anything to prepair your middle school/ jr. High kids for college?
My kids are in band and will continue in band in high school. My son is in Boy Scouts - hoping to furfill the Eagle Scout requirement. He also plays sports and is in all advance classes.

I understand not all kids can do this and it a rough schedule for us sometimes. I understand my daughter cannot do the work in the advance classes but require her to stay in band. Partly because i've paid $$$ for their insterments.

What do you do now that you think will help them get into college later?

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm probably in the minority here but I try to prepare my kids for life and not necessarily college. Of my 3 older children 2 went to college and one didn't. The one that didn't I wanted to send to a tech school KNOWING that she would never make it in college but my ex insisted she stay in the high school. She ended up dropping out when she turned 18 because she hated high school and all she wanted to do was be a n urses aid and work with older people. She's now working on her GED and is home help for seniors and loving it.

We are now raising 3 grandkids and what I want for all of them is the skills to get a job and support theirselves hopefully without $100,000 in debt for college. If they want to go to college that's great and I'll encourage them to take the college level classes in HS so they can graduate from HS almost 2 years into their college degree for free! If they want to go to Vo K then that's fine.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Volunteering looks good on scholarship applications.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• What mommy_jules said....you don't necessarily do all of these things in order to get accepted into a college, some of it you do so that you have a better chance of getting scholarships.....and there are even scholarships available for tech schools.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Here's the biggest thing... there's a fine line between preparing them for college, and just burning them out before high school even starts. My kids go to a college prep middle school/high school, so they are taught early on how to get into college. The school (and I as a parent) teaches them to try to look at what type of college you want to go to, look at the requirements there, and then plan activities and classes accordingly.

Dd #1 got into a great college, even after a rocky start her freshman year in high school. The problem for her come high school was that she was burned out after middle school. Dd #2 is now in hs. She does swim team so that takes up the majority of her time. She is also in honors physics. Dd #3 is in middle school and is in service club and volleyball, she also does rec swim league in the summer. I want them to pace themselves though and prepare for life in general.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My DD is in high school level French class in 8th grade and she can continue the course through 12th. A language looks nice on a transcript and is always an asset in life. Our middle school also offers advanced math courses that are prerequisites for the advanced placement classes in high school. You could check into that.
    Keeping your kids involved in extra curricular activities is great. Basically I am encouraging my DD to get the best grades possible and to stay active in sports and community activities.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Nothing. My kids aren't in Jr. high yet. Still in Elementary. We are looking for Spanish classes for them to take after school. I know there are some school districts that are set up for the high school students to get some of their basic requirements done for their college degree and some of them graduate high school with their AA.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My 7th grader is in Beta Club and my 6th grader will be applying later this year. Being a member in middle school and being involved will get them a recommendation to National Honor Society in high school. They both run and are planning on joining the track team. My 6th grader is a student leader for FCA and I'm encouraging both of them to take on leadership roles in the clubs they are involved with. They are both straight A students and I encourage continued success in that area.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Everything that missanc said, plus it's important for kids to do volunteer work as well, I used to have my kids involved in volunteer work during the summers.

Get copies of the suggest reading lists for college prep, and start selecting books that they can read in advance, there's no way to read all of the books on the list, but it's good to read as many as possible, builds their reading and comprehension skills. Again, a good summertime activity.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My son is going to attempt Spanish next school year. My oldest already in college is struggling in Spanish. Good idea :)
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My middle child is not college material but I will insist at least a High School education. I'm also thinking, so kind of tech school for her as well. Not everyone is college bound...
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2012